3500 tire pressures when empty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeL77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just picked up a new 2021 Ram Big Horn 3500 Crew Cab srw short box 6.4 gas with rear air bag suspension. Pressures call for 60 front, 80 rear. I'm using the truck for a slide-in camper. When there is no load, approximately how soft can I reasonably deflate the tires so my liver isn't being pureed into mush? I don't care about TPMS lights coming on. Thanks, appreciate any thoughts.

Just found out I should have TPIS which is just informational.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've gone down to 50psi and I have a shell and approx 500lbs of gear in the bed.

Here's a chart that will help you. I believe you can go to any level you want as long as you don't overload the tires.

https://tirepressure.com/lt275-70r18-tire-pressure

I agree with John. You should be able to go as low as you feel comfortable with. I personally wouldn't go lower than 35-40lbs (only when empty, or light loads!) for fear of heat generation. Remember the Ford Explorers in the 90's? They had decals in the door jams stating something like 26-28PSI...trying to cushion their ****** ride...Firestone took most of the blame for faulty tires when the low tire pressure created heat, and people had blowouts. This also played into the mandated tire monitoring systems we now have.