3500's ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had a 2014 3500 (no air) and a 2020 3500 with the air suspension. Unloaded they drive the same. Fully loaded the air makes a small difference. Certainly not worth the extra $1700 when I ordered it.

I really contemplated it for a while and decided to try it. It was a waste of money. Even with the air it sits on some leaf springs. So your default no load suspension are those leaf springs.

If you're ordering a new truck, spend your money on other things. If you're choosing between an air and no air 3500, base your decision on other factors. The only time I think it should be a consideration is if you're going to be towing more than just driving unloaded.

Finally, if you want a smoother ride 90% of the time, then just get a 2500.
Great feedback. If I find out the rail companies are actually go on strike I am probably going to abandon my ordered truck & look for something on a lot. From your post I am not going to fret if it doesn't have auto load leveling. If I could I would stick to a 2500 but the 5th wheel I got pushes it right to it's limits. I usually like having a little more than I need rather than not enough or just enough. Thanks for the feedback!

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
The biggest advantage to air suspension is you don't have the big change in headlight aim between loaded and unloaded.

With a truck camper the air also reduces the need for leveling blocks when setting up camp. The close to 2" difference in rear height between normal height, alt height and travel mode allows for more range before needing to dig out the leveling blocks.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed. I think it rides very well. It turns great in parking lots and city streets. It's easy to park, besides its length to a normal spot. I was really worried about its ride quality; however, mine doesn't bounce or roll like a fat man around curves or poor streets, or care about speed bumps when I don't slow down. I am very impressed with my 3500 and have no complaints about it or the brand. Glad I listened to my car buddies about RAM, and I say luckily, "No regerts."

Side Note: my favorite feature of this truck is - I don't want to drive 'fast' in it. I just putt along, taking my time, and I love it. I just laugh as people go ARRRROOOUUUNNNNDDDD me. I'm comfy, secure in that beast, and grinning ear to ear. I haven't drove anything else since it got here last Sunday.