37” spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi community,

I’m looking at some factors for jumping up to a 37” tire on my 2019 Power Wagon. Currently running 315/70r17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. Im looking at a BFG 37x12.5r17 (or 13.5). Im picking these because they run a bit smaller and I want to minimize fender rub and ensure I will clear the radius and sway at full flex and lock. I’m not looking for any opinions on the tires.

I have a 315 tucked under my tail gate spare location and there is a little bit of room for something bigger but not much.

Has anyone had any success getting a 37 spare into the factory spare location? Anything I can cut or replace with an aftermarket part which gives an inch or so more room under there?

Thanks for any info

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
tow hitch delete?

Oooh, i suppose that would open up some room. Maybe removing the stock bumper and hitch for aftermarket would be a way to sneak something bigger up there. But, i dont think there is even 37” between the frame rails.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
tow hitch delete?
You can’t delete the trailer hitch, it’s what the rear bumper attaches to.

the short answer is no, a 37” will not fit under the bed. You have to get creative with how you carry it. Either with an in bed, hitch mounted, or replacement tailgate option. I wouldn’t recommend a rooftop basket because of how big our trucks already are, and hauling a 37” tire up to the roof is a chore you don’t want to be doing often.

motorbreath

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a Warrior removable bed-mounted spare tire carrier coming this week. "Removable" was the big thing for me. 3 plates gotta get drilled into the floor of the bed, but it's not going to impact what I can/can't haul back there if the carrier is out.

OP
OP
JamesgPW

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I assume that is for off road only. Otherwise I would be very concerned about it "walking off"

It only weighs about 120lbs collectively. Haven’t had any issues yet. I work midnights so my truck is in a secure lot 4 of 7 nights a week.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I plan on building a carrier it hopefully mount to the frame behind the bumper both sides and run out to just out side of the tail lights. I plan on using2x2 square tube 3/16 plate and pipe for the hinges. plan on making it like 2 swinging gates that meet in the middle .I will make it so that all the weight is on the bumper when they are closed. I will post pics when I start building.they will be kinda like a hitch gate that I saw I believe the company is wilco

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 37X12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's which are actually 36.6" tall. I was wondering if I could fit that under there. If not since I have onboard air, could I run an aired down 35" as a spare and just air it up and run it up front to get to the nearest Tire store?

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Oooh, i suppose that would open up some room. Maybe removing the stock bumper and hitch for aftermarket would be a way to sneak something bigger up there. But, i dont think there is even 37” between the frame rails.
OR, there are a couple of receiver mounted swing out spare tire carriers, I choose RIGD ULTRASWING, carries up to a 40in tire/rim, tools and has it`s own receiver rated at 10k lbs for towing. Can`t remember the other brand/s, try google...

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
37 will not fit in spare tire location. AEV has a bed mount kit, but it's been out of stock for ever and a day. Likewise, do you plan to re-gear or run them on the 4.10:1?

OP
OP
JamesgPW

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
37 will not fit in spare tire location. AEV has a bed mount kit, but it's been out of stock for ever and a day. Likewise, do you plan to re-gear or run them on the 4.10:1?

Went with a ratchet strap and used my bed hooks. Keeps the weight of the spare roughly in the factory spot and didnt add more new weight with so expensive thing I have to bolt in.

I have been running 37s with the 4.10 gears and done done steep inclines just fine so not on my priority list at the moment. The 8 speed and recalibration really manage the 37s well. Might do 4.56 or 4.88 down the road.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Went with a ratchet strap and used my bed hooks. Keeps the weight of the spare roughly in the factory spot and didnt add more new weight with so expensive thing I have to bolt in.

I have been running 37s with the 4.10 gears and done done steep inclines just fine so not on my priority list at the moment. The 8 speed and recalibration really manage the 37s well. Might do 4.56 or 4.88 down the road.
Got it. I have a GEN 4 and while I wanted to run 37s, went with 35s. Was not willing to re-gear because 1. I don't have the tools or know how and 2. I got burned on re-gear once and, well you know the deal, once bitten, twice shy. 35s will fit, but are tight and have to air down for my tire anyway. I have OBA, so not an issue and I tow sometimes, so that all drove the decision.