37s without regear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I brought my Power Wagon old tires and wheels including the spare to Discount Tire in Grand Junction in the bed of my Chevrolet 1/2 ton for my last set of new tires. They have never seen the Power Wagon, or 2500, or Ram, Dodge, or whatever they put it into the computer as. Picked them up when they texted me that they were ready and installed them back at home. No issues.
It's funny how when it's just a tire the old fundamentals of wheel balancing come into play. But dare you label it as belonging to a specific manufactured vehicle...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It's funny how when it's just a tire the old fundamentals of wheel balancing come into play. But dare you label it as belonging to a specific manufactured vehicle...

It's just a tire. If they don't give you what you want, go somewhere else. Don't be specific on the truck. They can see it's a truck wheel and tire. If you can, bring them in loose. I don't ever leave my vehicles with the tire shops due I just want tires, not anything else.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why do you guys want load range F tires on a Power Wagon? This is load range we're talking about afterall, and the Power Wagon doesn't have enough load carrying capacity to max out a load range D tire, let alone a load range F tire. If it is a three ply sidewall you are after there are several brands that offer that in a load range D tire. And the load range D tire is going to ride much better, flex better, and work better off road, which is what the Power Wagon is for. Just saying ...

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Why do you guys want load range F tires on a Power Wagon? This is load range we're talking about afterall, and the Power Wagon doesn't have enough load carrying capacity to max out a load range D tire, let alone a load range F tire. If it is a three ply sidewall you are after there are several brands that offer that in a load range D tire. And the load range D tire is going to ride much better, flex better, and work better off road, which is what the Power Wagon is for. Just saying ...
I don't want and wouldn't run a Load Range F on my Power Wagon. For a Ram 2500 (Cummins) it couldn't hurt if you're at the maximum gross load, if you prefer less tire flex. Still prefer Load Range E when hauling maximum gross loads on my Power Wagon due to it has less tire flex than D. I didn't like the side to side rolling feeling when I ran Load Range D tires under maximum load with my Power Wagon.

Last edited:

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
As a novice in this game, I’ve always been told that the higher load range the tire, the more puncture resistant it is when off road. I’ve had two tires punctured with sharp rocks to date and they were both stock tires on a 1500 and were load range D. Naturally I’m kind of fearful of more casualties. I was aired down with one of the punctures and was on just a generic dirt road with the other.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1407-understanding-tire-load-ratings/

I've been driving 4x4 trucks since 1971 of which there were no flotation tires available back then. Used 10 ply bias ply tires and still got a rock puncture. I was 13 years old and learned how to drive an International truck with all wheel drive off road. Never had an interest in flotation tires, but according to the above article a wide tire can handle being a Load Range D due to more flex for off road.

Since I live remote/rural on some acreage within the Rocky Mountains I find the most functionality with tall and narrow tires for both winter and summer conditions. Had 29 feet of snow last year just up the road. Can run tire chains when needed with no clearance issues. Load Range E on tall and narrow tires seem to handle the mountain cornering better than D tires do under load. If they made a 37 10.50R17 Load Range E, I would probably run it on my PW.

Last edited:

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I went with the milestars after watching a review of them on YouTube. Hard to beat what they did in Moab and Colorado in the snow. Granted in South Georgia they won't get the use they deserve, but one day they will

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well. Discount tire will not play with spacer at all. Actually, if you show up with spacers they wont even touch your ride.
I misspoke. I meant to say that I would have them try different wheel offsets to see which provided the most clearance. I don’t recall which thread I was in where someone had posted that +18 to +25 offset works well on the ‘19 PW with no additional lift.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I misspoke. I meant to say that I would have them try different wheel offsets to see which provided the most clearance. I don’t recall which thread I was in where someone had posted that +18 to +25 offset works well on the ‘19 PW with no additional lift.
If speaking to 37’s with no lift. It’ll rub. I have a normal 2500 with thuren kit. So little higher than a PW. I run 37’s on +18 wheels. Had to trim minor liner for normal driving. But under serious wheelin and flexing it rubs. I’ve cut more liner back, cut lower pinch weld off and hammered back the lip behind the liner I removed. It only rubs under full turn and flex now. So maybe if you don’t use it hard it’ll be fine. But if you wheel take a knife, hacksaw and hammer with ya. I think I’ve adjusted enough now. Waiting for next trip out and I’ll see if I’m done. My 35’s never touched anywjere other than my rear shock.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
As a novice in this game, I’ve always been told that the higher load range the tire, the more puncture resistant it is when off road. I’ve had two tires punctured with sharp rocks to date and they were both stock tires on a 1500 and were load range D. Naturally I’m kind of fearful of more casualties. I was aired down with one of the punctures and was on just a generic dirt road with the other.
The Load Range E sidewalls are stiffer than a Load Range D due to it helps to hold higher air pressure. It usually makes for a heavier in weight tire. I use Load Range E over C even on my Chevrolet K1500 due to a lot of our roads are made up of just broken sharp rocks and I want the sidewall not to flex as much when running over them. Basically less sidewall will buldge out.

What really matters is a having a 3 ply tire carcass in avoiding rock punctures, no matter what the Load Rating. One additional ply within the tire carcass makes for a stronger tire against rock punctures versus the PW's OEM 2 ply Duratrac tires, not the Load Rating. It's the 3 ply tire carcass that makes it tougher. Therefore, my Power Wagon has 3 ply Load Range E tires on it.

Last edited:

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hmmm, mine are 285/70/R17s. That’s 32.7x11.2.

Do you by chance have any stance pics on the 35s? Also curious what wheels are you running. About to pull the trigger on some 35s.
78578ED6-2CE1-4547-8438-F947667F04A8.jpeg

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your flat tires had more to do with the fact that they were cheap stock tires than it did with them being load range D. Some tires are just built tougher than others, and load range isn't the only factor involved. I know for a fact that load range D Toyo's are a tougher tire than load range E BFGs. I've used Toyo Open Country MT tires for decades, and never had a flat, even though many of them were load range D. Now I'm using Falken Wild Peak MT tires, and they appear to be just as well built, and just as tough, and are a load range D. Aftermarket BFG and Goodyear tires are pretty flimsy, and just barely better than OEM tires. I've had a number of flats on BFGs and Goodyears, even load range E. And I've almost always had a flat if I try to get by with stock tires. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a set of stock tires last through their tread life without having one or more of the tires ruined while offroad.

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Your flat tires had more to do with the fact that they were cheap stock tires than it did with them being load range D. Some tires are just built tougher than others, and load range isn't the only factor involved. I know for a fact that load range D Toyo's are a tougher tire than load range E BFGs. I've used Toyo Open Country MT tires for decades, and never had a flat, even though many of them were load range D. Now I'm using Falken Wild Peak MT tires, and they appear to be just as well built, and just as tough, and are a load range D. Aftermarket BFG and Goodyear tires are pretty flimsy, and just barely better than OEM tires. I've had a number of flats on BFGs and Goodyears, even load range E. And I've almost always had a flat if I try to get by with stock tires. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a set of stock tires last through their tread life without having one or more of the tires ruined while offroad.

So I guess I'd like to point out a few things. First this is extremely subjective. Personal experience only drives a small part of this. I know folks who love BFGs and never had an issue with them on a heavy truck. It depends on your location and use. If your in sand or fire roads compared to AZ desert crawling. The other point is the rubber compound. There is a big debate between durability and traction. The softer the compound the more traction, less tread life....theoretically. load range only tells you what the "ply" is. Either 8 or 10. The load index tells you carrying capacity....with technology available and better materials I think that determining which is better is purely speculative due to application.

Now the question is will 37s of d or e rated tires work well with the stock 4.10 gears? How sluggish will this make the truck? What about transmission shift points and will this have any effect on suspension.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Now the question is will 37s of d or e rated tires work well with the stock 4.10 gears? How sluggish will this make the truck? What about transmission shift points and will this have any effect on suspension.
For the new 8 speed with closer gear ratio, it is awesome. Better than stockIt is not sluggish.
I know you have a 6 speed so come on people, chime in!

Lets talk highway. Stock, it was hard to keep straight. I deflated the tires and it helped. Now it feels rock solid and stopped wandering.
Bigger tires on a jeep or 1/2 ton feels heavy ( lets say two sizes bigger ) but not on that truck.
Only con is the rubbing when turning full lock.

I never tried 35" so take all that with a grain of salt.

With all that said, I would do it again.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Mine is a daily driver with a lot of daily windshield time, and as much as I would like to throw 37s under my 2018 PW, I need to settle on 35s. That said, I am having a full Carli setup with Fox 2.0s and some new tires/wheels put on next week. Hoping it turns out just right.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Mine is a daily driver with a lot of daily windshield time, and as much as I would like to throw 37s under my 2018 PW, I need to settle on 35s. That said, I am having a full Carli setup with Fox 2.0s and some new tires/wheels put on next week. Hoping it turns out just right.
Ohhh that’s gonna be nice. After I ruin this truck. My next truck I’ve though about a full Carli setup.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
37s, thuren 1.5" leveling springs. Not my everyday vehicle but I usually drive her to work once or twice a week,70 mile round trip all hwy and weekends. Had 35s on before and these seem a bit more sluggish but nothing that is inherently bothersome. I can still spin the tires a bit if I floor it from a stop. I don't notice it hunting for gears that much. I used to have a 1500 with 37s and 3.21 gears and that badboy did hunt for 8th gear quite often. I would have no issues driving it everyday minus the 12-15mpgs..lol

I did trim the plastic near the pinch weld and fold back the pinch weld a bit for a little pre-emptive clearance. I went with a D rated Cooper STT pro. I was less concerned with the rating and more concerned about the max load. I don't haul or tow so a max load of 3500lbs per tire was plenty for the wagon. I have no desire to go any higher in lift as it kinda starts to become a hindrance rather than helpful. Just my 2 cents2dbaf0bc06a38cfd33bcc8ca30025c1e.jpg5ad44ae76691adcbd3ac3a3516a6b1d4.jpga90fd789b67bed8a5eed728a7ae98661.jpg24a2b6e665380a88a3dd229096a51493.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk