392 injectors for 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 5.7 L that I'm going to put a stage 2 camshaft in. I have a 90 mm throttle body, a Vararam Air grabber Ram air filter , BFC shorties and a cat back exhaust. Im thinking about installing 392 fuel injectors. Has anybody else installed 392 fuel injectors? If so what were your results and I'm also looking for Mopar part number just to make sure I'm putting in the right ones. Thanks

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do a 6.4 intake swap. Your just throwing money away trying to make power with a 5.7 intake

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you run the Vararam air cleaner with the 6.4 intake? All of the intakes I ahve seen that where for the 6.4 had a 45ish degree intake runner.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gave some thought about doin a 6.4 intake swap, but that was after i went with the Vararam air grabber (which i love) but its not designed for the 45° angle of the throttle body. So I'm going to stay w the 5.7 intake for now. Maybe I'll get it ported in the future.
I'm estimating 450hp +/- give or take with existing mods, the cam swap and tune (which was previously dyno'd at a 70hp gain) . I can pick up a set of 392 injectors for about $125, not entirely cheap BUT I dont see as a lot of money as far as mods go. Just wondering if i will gain hp w 392 injectors or not . When my wife asked about my fuel economy....I laughed.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you run the Vararam air cleaner with the 6.4 intake? All of the intakes I ahve seen that where for the 6.4 had a 45ish degree intake runner.
Sadly no you can not use the Vararam Air grabber w/ the 6.4 intake.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gave some thought about doin a 6.4 intake swap, but that was after i went with the Vararam air grabber (which i love) but its not designed for the 45° angle of the throttle body. So I'm going to stay w the 5.7 intake for now. Maybe I'll get it ported in the future.
I'm estimating 450hp +/- give or take with existing mods, the cam swap and tune (which was previously dyno'd at a 70hp gain) . I can pick up a set of 392 injectors for about $125, not entirely cheap BUT I dont see as a lot of money as far as mods go. Just wondering if i will gain hp w 392 injectors or not . When my wife asked about my fuel economy....I laughed.
You will not gain any horsepower by swapping injectors. Injectors are not a power factor directly. Injectors only limit how much power you can make by how much they can spray. If you are not maxing out the injectors there would be no reason to change them unless one is clogged or failed.

Chan_man808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 5.7 L that I'm going to put a stage 2 camshaft in. I have a 90 mm throttle body, a Vararam Air grabber Ram air filter , BFC shorties and a cat back exhaust. Im thinking about installing 392 fuel injectors. Has anybody else installed 392 fuel injectors? If so what were your results and I'm also looking for Mopar part number just to make sure I'm putting in the right ones. Thanks
Bfc shorties? Never heard of them

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will not gain any horsepower by swapping injectors. Injectors are not a power factor directly. Injectors only limit how much power you can make by how much they can spray. If you are not maxing out the injectors there would be no reason to change them unless one is clogged or failed.
They seem to be fine, not clogged .
The duty cycle of the 5.7l injectors is about 450 fwhp, I'm goin to be in that ball park after the new cam and tune but from what everyone is telling me, i shld be fine w the stock injectors. I was hoping to hear "Go for it, kid." Lol. So, I guess I will stick with them and see how my air fuel ratio is managed with the tune. Thanks for your help.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's one very happy dyno you were on if it gave you 70 hp for just a cam swap/shorties and tune,let me guess you never dyno'd it prior to the mods.What did it put down to the wheels,as dyno's only estimate engine power from the rear wheel reading. Don't be sucked in by advertising is all i have to say,lol

Edit: i see you haven't actually dyno'd or installed the cam yet,don't believe the advertising on the cam,as the factory cam in the trucks isn't all that bad.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bfc shorties? Never heard of them
BFC...Build fast cars. I'm totally trying to build on a budget and these were about as cheap as i cld find them. $250 w/tax (10%) and shipped. I wanted to go long tube but goin catless or gettin high performance cats wasn't really an option for me. Now mind you these had mixed reviews mostly good, but i went with them anyways. So far no problems and i definitely noticed a slight increase in horse, throttle response and sound. However, I'm a firm believer in "you get what u pay for." Most ppl buy BBK for that reason.
Mopar or no car !

SwitcherLP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have a '17 Charger RT with Texas Speed cam, 392 intake, JLT cold air intake, H00ker long tubes, cat and resonator delete with a 93 octane tune, and still using the RT injectors, not maxed. You don't need injectors yet.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BFC...Build fast cars. I'm totally trying to build on a budget and these were about as cheap as i cld find them. $250 w/tax (10%) and shipped. I wanted to go long tube but goin catless or gettin high performance cats wasn't really an option for me. Now mind you these had mixed reviews mostly good, but i went with them anyways. So far no problems and i definitely noticed a slight increase in horse, throttle response and sound. However, I'm a firm believer in "you get what u pay for." Most ppl buy BBK for that reason.
Mopar or no car !
You get what you pay for but you put $250 cheapo headers on your truck? They might be okay for a week or a year but even the BBKs are known to crack, I can't imagine those are better quality than the BBKs.

If you are building this on a budget a cam, mds delete and a tune ain't in the cards man. That stuff is not cheap no matter how you do it. Even if you install it all yourself you are still talking a few grand in parts.

Just my thoughts. You do you, and share some pics when you do it! Welcome to RF!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mopar or no car !
Post up what cam you're going with,as any cam advertising a 70 hp gain,is also going to need a fairly big convertor,otherwise it'll be a dog out of the hole .

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's one very happy dyno you were on if it gave you 70 hp for just a cam swap/shorties and tune,let me guess you never dyno'd it prior to the mods.What did it put down to the wheels,as dyno's only estimate engine power from the rear wheel reading. Don't be sucked in by advertising is all i have to say,lol

Edit: i see you haven't actually dyno'd or installed the cam yet,don't believe the advertising on the cam,as the factory cam in the trucks isn't all that bad.
No I haven't dyno yet, but that is my plan to dyno before I do the cam n tune, then again afterwards. Currently my mods are: 90mm throttle body, Vararam air grabber, BFC shorties, changed my single exhaust to a cat back dual exhaust and a throttle response module ( cheap version of a peddle commander.) My truck is DEFINITELY quicker than before. The "70 hp gain" from the cam and tune (I went with the Mark 82, as "Choppy" as i cld get w/o a high stall torque converter install) wasn't from the seller ( Flying Ryan performance) but from a customer of his, as so he claimed. Now i don't expect 70 horses but I'd be happy with say 35-45.
From there i do plan on doin a 3200 stall tq, clutch fan delete, electric fan replacement, 180° them, oil catch can and i think to top it all off an engine dress up kit. Why not ? Lol.
I'm like 1 day old to this forum and I cant wait to update and post my future build . She also came with the 17" wheels so i have to figure out what tires will be best (goin bald, go figure, lol.) I also live in Chicago and the snow can be a ***** here I'll have to do research for that. Any advice is welcomed.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '17 Charger RT with Texas Speed cam, 392 intake, JLT cold air intake, H00ker long tubes, cat and resonator delete with a 93 octane tune, and still using the RT injectors, not maxed. You don't need injectors yet.
Yea that's what i got a custom grind Texas speed cam "Mark82" , i plan on goin with the HP 93 Oct tune. If your still using the 5.7L injectors and they are not maxed, I'm down. Thanks for the feedback it's greatly appreciated !

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You get what you pay for but you put $250 cheapo headers on your truck? They might be okay for a week or a year but even the BBKs are known to crack, I can't imagine those are better quality than the BBKs.

If you are building this on a budget a cam, mds delete and a tune ain't in the cards man. That stuff is not cheap no matter how you do it. Even if you install it all yourself you are still talking a few grand in parts.

Just my thoughts. You do you, and share some pics when you do it! Welcome to RF!
I actually don't think that they are better then BBK headers. More then likely not. But I went with them anyways. I even spent the extra to wrap them myself, even though some ppl advised against it ‍♂️.

The cam kit cost me $2,036.49 delivered from Flying Ryan performance. It included every gasket needed, head bolt, cam bolt and even the crank bolt that wld be needed to do the swap.
Im not mechanically inclined to do the job and even if i was i live in a condo w no garage. So, i wll have to find a shop that will do it at a reasonable price. Im hoping around 2grand with the tune. I hope.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No I haven't dyno yet, but that is my plan to dyno before I do the cam n tune, then again afterwards. Currently my mods are: 90mm throttle body, Vararam air grabber, BFC shorties, changed my single exhaust to a cat back dual exhaust and a throttle response module ( cheap version of a peddle commander.) My truck is DEFINITELY quicker than before. The "70 hp gain" from the cam and tune (I went with the Mark 82, as "Choppy" as i cld get w/o a high stall torque converter install) wasn't from the seller ( Flying Ryan performance) but from a customer of his, as so he claimed. Now i don't expect 70 horses but I'd be happy with say 35-45.
From there i do plan on doin a 3200 stall tq, clutch fan delete, electric fan replacement, 180° them, oil catch can and i think to top it all off an engine dress up kit. Why not ? Lol.
I'm like 1 day old to this forum and I cant wait to update and post my future build . She also came with the 17" wheels so i have to figure out what tires will be best (goin bald, go figure, lol.) I also live in Chicago and the snow can be a ***** here I'll have to do research for that. Any advice is welcomed.
Ryans Mark 82 is a good cam,but it needs a convertor to be happy. If you're on a budget,why not throw a 75 shot of nitrous on it instead,you won't need a convertor or cam with a 75 shot,and it'll eat your cam/convertor combo for breakfast.Nitrous builds instant cylinder pressure which means it makes instant torque.Hemi's love nitrous,as they have enough intake port to handle the air displacement nitrous creates. A little tidbit for you ,if you have 2 engines making 450 flywheel hp in a 5,000+lb truck,but one does it with cam/heads/long tubes etc., and one does it with a 75 shot of nitrous,the nitrous engine will always be faster,as it has a fatter torque curve that occurs lower in the rpm scale.The 5.7's will handle a 75 shot all day long. My 4X4 with a 75 shot gives stick hellcats a hell'va run for their money at our local track,and has over 600 nitrous passes on it.The 75 shot on my truck is good for a full second at the track,which your cam/convertor combo won't do.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I actually don't think that they are better then BBK headers. More then likely not. But I went with them anyways. I even spent the extra to wrap them myself, even though some ppl advised against it ‍♂️.

The cam kit cost me $2,036.49 delivered from Flying Ryan performance. It included every gasket needed, head bolt, cam bolt and even the crank bolt that wld be needed to do the swap.
Im not mechanically inclined to do the job and even if i was i live in a condo w no garage. So, i wll have to find a shop that will do it at a reasonable price. Im hoping around 2grand with the tune. I hope.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Budget and Hemi aren't 2 words that go together,especially if you have to pay a shop to install everything for you.Good luck,and i hope things work out for you.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post up what cam you're going with,as any cam advertising a 70 hp gain,is also going to need a fairly big convertor,otherwise it'll be a dog out of the hole .
I went with a custom grind by flying Ryan performance called the Mark82. Its a Texas speed cam - duration .050 , intake 220, exhaust 228, lobe lift .365, valve lift @ 1.65, lobe separation 113, intake center line 111. The kit comes with hellcat lifters (mopar # 0503 8784AD) , pac springs (pac-1275x-16), shims, MDS plugs, gaskets, push rods, head bolts, crank bolt and cam bolt. He says a torque converter is not needed but a 3200 stall is recommended. I don't want my truck to fall in its face off the line so, I plan on buying one from Moe's before I do the cam install. About $750 delivered.
The plan is to do them both at the same time. That's what originally brought me here was to get advice on goin with 392 injectors or not . Everyone is telling me I'll be good with the 5.7L ones. So, ok.

Any advice is appreciated !