3rd gen lights on 2nd gens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
so, i've seen pictures, and i know anything can be done if you set your mind on it....but i am curious if anyone who has a set of both third gen, and second gen lights can really compare them. Or better yet someone with a third gen and a second gen truck, and take the lights out and see if they fit in the same gap (mostly worried about angles on the fender, the rest is a lot easier to modify in my case) Ive been looking a picture, and the corners look close to each other and the look like they might fit without major fender modifications. I would imagine i would need to get creative to figure out the mounting situation...but again, i don't see that being a huge issue. anyone here know of someone that has done this mod? what all is really involved? anyone have a ruined set of 3rd gen headlights they'd be willing to give away for my brain to compare and figure out how to get onto my second gen? as long as the exterior edges and the mounting spots are still good on the lights i could care less on the condition. i'd just like to figure out if this is a mod i want to do, or if i should just get an aftermarket set of 2nd gen lights...even though the 3rd gens look so much better...

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
the 02-05 lights are quite a bit taller than the 2nd gen lights. 06-08s dwarf them.

Let me see if I can get some pics this weekend when Dave's second genners hit my workbench again.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, the 02-05 are the ones i'm looking at, you don't by chance have a set laying around that you accidently messed up and just kinda threw off to the side and can't use now do you? lol. i imagined that they were taller. what i am looking at is the top edge, leading into the curve going to the side edge. if those lines line up to a second gen, the swap should be pretty easy and straightforward. some of the pics make the lights look that way, but you can never be sure of anything by looking at pictures. If i can offset them being taller by cutting below them thats not an issue, i got about 3 inches of steel going straight down under them thanks to my heavy duty bumper, so cutting down isn't an issue, expanding into the grill i won't mind either as it give me an excuse to do something creative with my grill. i'm really kinda hoping that they will sit inside the second gen fenders, and have the lines line up with the fenders...

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
any bad parts (or not usable) I pitch it. sorry man!

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
well if you get an unusable housing let me know, really just need one side to figure out if it'll work for sure, but if you can take a close look when you have both lights next to each other and take some pics, that could be almost as helpful, atleast helpful enough for me to be comfortable enough to try and buy a really cheap stock set for fitting purposes...

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
will the fender lines line up with the door body lines though? and i've seen this done on trucks that don't look like they have any fender changes, or atleast look to be a minimum of 90% 2nd gen fender. i figure worst case scenario a little cutting and welding will make 3rd gen fenders mash up with 2nd gen fenders to allow 3rd gen lights. but i am hoping thats not needed

gwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
think that would look bad ass, though i saw a picture of a 2nd with a charger front end on it, i saw it once and i seem i cant find it again.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Gonna be some fab work to get the headlights in there. It has been done.
Going now to look through my photobucket has I have a couple pics in there.

Editing

Bunch changed on this one but its a 2nd gen cab
35408d1308308485-2nd-gen-02-05-06-h.jpg

#2 edit
bunch of fab work
untitled.jpg

#3 Just a bumper change
IMG_0772.jpg

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
that had crossed my mind, but i am happy with the options that are available for the second gen tails, where as the early 3rd gen head lights have such a huge difference in styling, and look so much better in my opinion, i would be more interested in doing some cutting and welding on the fenders that the bed.

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
that green ram freaking killed it!!!

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
bumper swap isn't for me, i love my heavy duty bumper. i get out in the middle of no where to often to worry about animals popping up and ruining my bumper....and with this bumper i can easily cut it to fit the third gen lights if need be

2012-07-14_12-42-48_593.jpg

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
do it, i say go with the 02-05 heads (green dodge)

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
thats the plan, I'm gunna see what JJ says after this weekend when he has a chance to really compare the two, and talk to the local junk yard and see if they have an unusable light or two laying around i could snag up from 'em for cheap so i can figure out how i would need to mount them. to bad one wrecking yard owns all of the rest of 'em over here, i might have to spend $50-$100 just to see if i can make it work, and at that point i'll buy ones i will actually use for the mod. otherwise it will be a waste of money

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, a local guy is selling his stock lights off his 03. I'll hopefully be meeting up with him tomorrow and buying them off of him. If they look like they will fit holding them up next to my truck, they are mine, if not i'll wait and see what JJ thinks when he compares the second and third gen lights. So i might be tearing apart my front end this weekend and trying to make thiese guys fit than making a custom wiring harness...lol

gwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I cant wait for the final project to look like, gonna be SICK!!!!, lol