3rd gen lights on 2nd gens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
so since i will have to modify your lights just to get them to work, does that mean i get a free set JJ? lol j/k.

alright, they are in. and dear god ....for any better of a fit you will need to get into your core support, i have a cheap 110 MIG welder, and a 220 arc welder, the arc welder is to powerful, the 110 mig, to weak, didn't feel like like cutting and welding that. So we got close, but they look good. once i get fender flares they will look even better. here are a couple finished pics, expect a walk through if ya'll really want one. but i can promise, if you don't wan't to cut up your fenders, don't even consider it, because there is no going back. i took a decent amount of pic, but really 90% of it is just cutting, checking the fit, than cutting again. and slowly getting it right. i was about to use the upper intercooler supprot bracket for my upper mounts, lower mounts required an inch and half of spacers, and the third mount, custom bracket. if you don't feel confident you can do ths, don't, i had a guy who has been working at body shops for years and a professional welder with me. (and several rednecks, and lots of beer, but thats besides the point) what matter is we got it done. and i love it. I need to finish my audio install, than i will get fender flares, than i will get aftermarket 3rd gen lights, only to spend an hour or two modding them to make them fit. lol. here are a couple finished pics, and a couple showing the excess that will be there without cutting the core support or using a 3rd gen front clip.

2012-07-29_16-56-41_124.jpg
2012-07-29_16-56-49_556.jpg
2012-07-29_16-56-59_891.jpg
2012-07-29_15-15-32_301.jpg
2012-07-29_15-15-41_184.jpg
2012-07-29_15-15-49_605.jpg
2012-07-29_15-15-24_87.jpg

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
thanks man, i don't even know how many new cuts are on my hands right now because of this mod...lol. but now that its all done, worth it. i love these lights, some of the best looking out there i think, but it still sucks after all this i'm not keeping these lights, i'll be getting new ones at some point and have to bend the support brackets in on brand new lights, and than melt the side in on brand new lights...just so they will work...lol. but totally worth it. although i can't emphasis this enough to anyone, if you have any doubts about your skill level, don't attempt this...me and my friends are a bunch of rednecks for lack of a better term...it worked out great, and i think anyone can do this, but if you have never done any serious mods before, this might not be for you....

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
man that turned out great! when you come down to texas, bring your equiptment so we can do this to mine ;) and then you wont have to buy a new set of aftermarket ones, Ill help ya pop the covers off and put some projectors/paint on those puppies ;) win win!

in all seriousness, looks great man, awesome mod/work!

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks a lot better than what I was expecting lol can't wait to see the aftermarket ones on it gonna look good.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks guy!

all it took cody was a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting wheel and a grinding wheel, than a heat gun. nothing to special, just gotta be careful. lol.

and i'm really happy with them, and once i get fender flares, they'll look even better

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What type of aftermarket lights are you looking at running? Just curious.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
thanks cody, i can't stop looking at them myself, lol. i love stuff like this where its something most people probably could do, but it is intensive and that throws most people away from it. i love 'em.

as to what i'll be doing aftermarket light wise....i have no idea. i have several things ahead of them to purchase before i get new lights. This project just kinda happened. saw some pics, asked around, got some lights, than cut up my truck and put them in. lol. this was definitely not a planned project, but it turned out great, so i'll be waiting on the new lights for a while. first things first, finish my audio build, than fender flares, than do some interior work i'm thinking....