4/6 inch lift and 35's or 37's with 3.21 gearing help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
Hi everyone. I found this forum site gives the most feedback to the people who are posting so I thought I'd start here. I recently bought a 2015 ram 1500 Express 3.6L with the 3.21 gearing used with 50k miles. Even though a hemi would've been great it was never an option for me due to a financial stand point and also only being 17 years old. I ended getting some birthday money and have been saving some extra money and I want to put 35's or 37's and a 4 or 6 inch lift to give my truck some stance. I see a lot of people give the 3.21 gearing tons of ****. But there is the few odd people out there would have 35's or 37's on their ram with 3.21 gearing. But those people using 3.21 gearing have the hemi with 3.21 gearing. I've realized that ram's newer V6 engines like mine have a pretty substantial amount of horsepower compared to older V8's with big lifts. I'm more concerned about the gearing than anything. Can anyone help with this decision on what to do? Thanks for any feedback.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Someone has a complex.

He asked for opinions and input ... That’s what I gave him

Complex ? WTF are you talking about ? I have a Hemi and 3.55’s on a 4” lift with 35 X 12.50’s and not a day goes by that I don’t regret not ordering the truck with 3.92’s ... It my opinion ... So offer yours to the kid, and leave me the f$ck out of your posts

Additional note : Regearing to front of these trucks after 2010 involves a total diff swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do you regret it every day?

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Why do you regret it every day?

Is it functional as an every day driver ? Yes ... But 35” 10-plys are some heavy ass tires, and it would be soooo much better taking off from a start with the 3.92’s ... I think it would be easier on my 6-spd trans as well ... 3.55’s are OK ... 3.92’s would be better ... IMO

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BOWERS, is his truck an 8spd? If his is an 8spd and if your truck has a 6spd you can’t compare yours to any 8spd truck. Different animals.

I have an 8spd/3.21/5.7L combo with 35s and no complaints. Drives perfectly fine in stop-and-go and on the highway. But I don’t want/need to tow 10,000lbs either. So for my purposes the 3.21/35” tire combo works great.

Buuuuuuut.......even with the 5.7 I’d be afraid to go 37s. I’d say hell no to 37s on this guys truck. For 35s I’d try to look and see what others with the 6cyl & 3.21s are doing. Bigger tires will look nice but you won’t like it if it throws your ratio off too much and it becomes tough to drive.

I think if we’re talking total gearing....his 8spd with 3.21s is probably better than the 6spd 3.55 combo. Where I don’t know enough is the fact he has the 6cyl engine. I’m not sure how that reacts to heavier tires but I’m assuming not as good as the 5.7.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have a hemi with 3.21 on 35s and i haven't lost much of anything. stock tire size is basically 33", and you'll almost never get a true 35" unless you research and get an oversized tire. mine are 34.5" which is not a whole lot taller than my stocks. the weight isn't much different either, though my new MT are heavier.

I can still tow everything i was towing, and i lost maybe 1-2mpg.

OP, the 3.6 makes similar numbers to a 5.9 magnum, and i have friends who have put those on 54" boggers. Point being, just keep in mind that you're going to lose fuel efficiency, and decide if thats worth it to you.

I still hold 8th gear on overpasses, i have a lot of passing power, and the truck moves just fine. If you're worried about it, just level and run an aggressive 33"

Edit: I drove a JKU for a good while on 35"s with a 3.6 and 3:55 gears. The JKU has a 5 speed auto too, and even that had ok acceleration. I never had an issue, and the 3.6 in the ram is much spunkier. I really think OP will be fine, especially if he has the 8 speed.

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it functional as an every day driver ? Yes ... But 35” 10-plys are some heavy ass tires, and it would be soooo much better taking off from a start with the 3.92’s ... I think it would be easier on my 6-spd trans as well ... 3.55’s are OK ... 3.92’s would be better ... IMO

I have the 8 speed .
And I wonder how much if any difference it will make.

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have a hemi with 3.21 on 35s and i haven't lost much of anything. stock tire size is basically 33", and you'll almost never get a true 35" unless you research and get an oversized tire. mine are 34.5" which is not a whole lot taller than my stocks. the weight isn't much different either, though my new MT are heavier.

I can still tow everything i was towing, and i lost maybe 1-2mpg.

OP, the 3.6 makes similar numbers to a 5.9 magnum, and i have friends who have put those on 54" boggers. Point being, just keep in mind that you're going to lose fuel efficiency, and decide if thats worth it to you.

I still hold 8th gear on overpasses, i have a lot of passing power, and the truck moves just fine. If you're worried about it, just level and run an aggressive 33"

Edit: I drove a JKU for a good while on 35"s with a 3.6 and 3:55 gears. The JKU has a 5 speed auto too, and even that had ok acceleration. I never had an issue, and the 3.6 in the ram is much spunkier. I really think OP will be fine, especially if he has the 8 speed.

Thanks for the info [emoji1303]

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BOWERS, is his truck an 8spd? If his is an 8spd and if your truck has a 6spd you can’t compare yours to any 8spd truck. Different animals.

I have an 8spd/3.21/5.7L combo with 35s and no complaints. Drives perfectly fine in stop-and-go and on the highway. But I don’t want/need to tow 10,000lbs either. So for my purposes the 3.21/35” tire combo works great.

Buuuuuuut.......even with the 5.7 I’d be afraid to go 37s. I’d say hell no to 37s on this guys truck. For 35s I’d try to look and see what others with the 6cyl & 3.21s are doing. Bigger tires will look nice but you won’t like it if it throws your ratio off too much and it becomes tough to drive.

I think if we’re talking total gearing....his 8spd with 3.21s is probably better than the 6spd 3.55 combo. Where I don’t know enough is the fact he has the 6cyl engine. I’m not sure how that reacts to heavier tires but I’m assuming not as good as the 5.7.

[emoji1303]

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Agreed ... I’ve heard the 5.7/3.21/8spd combo is very functional with 35’s

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The 8sp makes a Huge difference and really helps out with its low gears.
I have a Hemi with 8sp and 3:21s and my truck runs out great and will spin the tires through 1st into 2nd with stock tires.
I put new tires and wheels on it and I took a good hit on the snap on take off, with that said it still would smoke my last chevy..lol

On the 3.6 you should really look for a 34/35" tire that is skinny and the lightest you can find and if you change wheels I would look at weights on the as wheel and not go wide with them either.
I would not put 37s on it myself unless you put 3:92s in it, but I would not put 37s on my truck either..lol

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agreed ... I’ve heard the 5.7/3.21/8spd combo is very functional with 35’s

I have the Hemi 5.7/3.21/8 spd on 37's no complaints at all. Mine is a 2wd though. Still avg 15-16 on the freeway, and 13.x in town

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Hemi 5.7/3.21/8 spd on 37's no complaints at all. Mine is a 2wd though. Still avg 15-16 on the freeway, and 13.x in town
How many miles on the setup?

And it does fine?

I’ve heard the 8spd makes up for the slower driving in lower gears but the trucks with this combo have a harder time going, say, 65mph and holding a gear at such speeds? Do you know what speed you have to get up to in order to reach 8th gear?

And I s it hard on the trans and drivetrain with such a low actual final ratio?

Only wondering bc there’s not a lot of brains to pick since most people don’t run 3.21s and 37s butnim interested.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just remeber folks, the 8pseed has no advantage once into overdrive, same 0.67 ratio as the 6 speed. The 8 spd helps out of the hole with deeper ratios and a closer spread but once above 50 or so and crusiing the gearing advantage is gone. My truck will get into 8th around 48mph if I’m driving “easy”.

To the OP, all really depends on what you’re willing to put up with. You can sure as heck throw 37’s on your truck just know and be prepared for a slower truck that will probably shift alot and drink alot if fuel. Be honest with your expectstions and you’ll be fine.

On another note, wish i had a truck that nice @ 17, good on you young man!

Last edited:

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm
What if the eco mode isn’t used....
Just a thought .
Has anyone reprogrammed for the 35’s from the stock 33’s?

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How many miles on the setup?

And it does fine?

I’ve heard the 8spd makes up for the slower driving in lower gears but the trucks with this combo have a harder time going, say, 65mph and holding a gear at such speeds? Do you know what speed you have to get up to in order to reach 8th gear?

And I s it hard on the trans and drivetrain with such a low actual final ratio?

Only wondering bc there’s not a lot of brains to pick since most people don’t run 3.21s and 37s butnim interested.

I have 30k on this set up

It does great. I can tow just fine up hills and smooth roads. I dont feel it struggling to find a gear on the freeway like others have said on 35s. It hits eco mode on the freeway and city driving. I have a lead foot though lol

I will test it and see what speed I have to hit to get into 8th gear.

The drivetrain is doing fine. Honestly I've had it chirp off the line under full acceleration.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 30k on this set up

It does great. I can tow just fine up hills and smooth roads. I dont feel it struggling to find a gear on the freeway like others have said on 35s. It hits eco mode on the freeway and city driving. I have a lead foot though lol

I will test it and see what speed I have to hit to get into 8th gear.

The drivetrain is doing fine. Honestly I've had it chirp off the line under full acceleration.
You’re running 37s for the 30k miles you said, right?