4.7 (Clacking) noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corey E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am wanting to pick some of your brains here.... I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 2wd and i am having this consistent clacking noise which seems to amplify under the truck. I have replaced the thrust bearings in the bottom end for the crank which seemed to have been fine before i replaced them, they only had a 5 thow gab so i went ahead and replaced them just in case.. that unfortunately wasn't the issue. So i went ahead and digged deeper and started to think it was lifter noise. so i pulled the valve covers off and replaced them but noticed i could collapse the lifters by hand so i thought i got lucky enough and found the issue i'm dealing with so i went ahead again and replaced those... Again.. not the issue. So i digged even further and pulled the fan shroud, fans and balancer off and took the water pump out to get to the timing and noticed the tensioners were maxed out and wouldn't tighten the chain anymore so i bought new timing chains, tensioners and guides, didn't get the gears because they still look great and went and replaced them and put it all back together and started it and. Nope!!! its still there.. anybody know what else it could be, it only has 150,000km, i picked it up in the spring and was already making this noise and got the money together to figure the issue out but i am now stumped and replaced everything i could think it was. i know what a manifold leak sounds like and it doesn't sound like that neither rocker sounds. To mention again, it doesn't go away after it warms up, it stays there until i shut it off. thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

HydroDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Castrated 4.7
Sounds like you need a stethoscope to help pin point where the sound is coming from.
Did your truck have any codes?

Have you preformed a compression test? These motors have been know to drop a valve seat if overheated.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could it be normal injector noise ?

Dakota76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever found out what the noise was. I been look for a noise like this for a few months and have done lots of test and replace everything top end.