4.7 thermostat position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texasredneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I have tried to research this to no conclusive avail. I'm working on a 2004 Ram with the 4.7. I just got this motor back together after the famous head gasket failure. I am trying to find out where to clock the "jiggle" valve on the thermostat. I don't remember how the factory one was. The new one is at 1:30 , that's with the notch on the rubber gasket matching the receiver in the plastic housing. I've read they need to be at 12 and 6:00 position, I"m not really sure it even matters. I just remember a few years ago with a cheap thermostat it ran 200 to 210 even after bleeding, not long after that the head gasket started leaking and steaming from the exhaust. I don't want to go through all that again. Anybody have any input? And I did try to search this here also. Thanks..

jetmech87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just went through this on my 03 last weekend. Put the jiggle valve at 12 o’clock. Not realizing it I had mine at 6. Truck does not like that. Just rotate the seal until the tab is at 9 o’clock and the jiggle valve at 12.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
yes ,what he said,12 o clock.it is so air can escape.air will rise to the top so jiggle valve should be at the highest point which is 12 o clock