4.7 to 5.7 hemi swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skibop84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New member here just looking for some help.

Ik that this has been posted before but im trying to get this on just one thread. i have a 2003 1500 with the 4.7 that i going to take out and put in a 5.7. The donor truck is complete but its a 2004. my question is what will i need from the donor truck outside of the motor,engine harness,rad,ac cooler,and tranny cooler. i plan on using the 4.7 tranny bc its in better shape then my hemi tranny. the 4.7 is 2wd and the 5.7 is 4wd. I'm just a backyard mechanic so just want to make sure I'm getting everything i need. Ive changed tons of motor in my time but they were just the same and mostly just plug and play.

Last edited:

justinr3459

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 dodge ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
im new to this site but im literally in the tail end of this swap as i have just did it myself.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
New member here just looking for some help.

Ik that this has been posted before but im trying to get this on just one thread. i have a 2003 1500 with the 4.7 that i going to take out and put in a 5.7. The donor truck is complete but its a 2004. my question is what will i need from the donor truck outside of the motor,engine harness,rad,ac cooler,and tranny cooler. i plan on using the 4.7 tranny bc its in better shape then my hemi tranny. the 4.7 is 2wd and the 5.7 is 4wd. I'm just a backyard mechanic so just want to make sure I'm getting everything i need. Ive changed tons of motor in my time but they were just the same and mostly just plug and play.
You are going to need the PCM from the 5.7 donor truck. You also need to make sure if the donor truck has a SKIM key nor not. If it is a SKIM truck you will need the SKIM Module and key from the donor truck. If you don't have a key you can use the VIN from the donor truck to get the key code from a local dealer so keys can be programmed.

Also, the transmission from the 4.7 truck and the one in the 5.7 donor truck are the exact same trans besides the fact that one is a 2WD unit and the other is a 4WD unit so use the best one.

justinr3459

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 dodge ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
i am doing this same swap and i didnt have a issue as far as starting the vehicle but the gauges do not work and poor throttle.

OP
OP
S

skibop84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ty guys, i don't have a skim key so that's a plus. I had it in my head that I was going to have to change the fuse box and all. Good to know that I won't have to. I am going to change out my whole dash though bc the one in the donor truck is pretty much brand new.

mkbrower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You will probably need to swap gas pedals from the 2004. The 2003 4.7 used a throttle cable. The 5.7 used an electronic throttle body.

OP
OP
S

skibop84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok so i just checked my 2003 and it was made in may//// my 2004 was made in may as well and they both have the cable attached to the gas pedal. SO, i would take it as though i don't need to swap the pedal then?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963