4.7L Engine Stall HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Schendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 06 ram 1500 with a 4.7L. It starts good, idles good and drives good, unless I mash on the gas or go full throttle, then it stalls and chugs horribly. It isn’t throwing a code. It’s got me stumped because it runs fine otherwise. Please help!

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 06 ram 1500 with a 4.7L. It starts good, idles good and drives good, unless I mash on the gas or go full throttle, then it stalls and chugs horribly. It isn’t throwing a code. It’s got me stumped because it runs fine otherwise. Please help!

Check air filter, mass air flow sensor, and spark plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah I am going to check and see if maybe intake gaskets
When I have a vehicle that acts like yours the first thing I do I check the fuel pressure. The fuel pump may be good enough to start the engine and keep it running and driving under normal, non-aggressive driving but it may not be able to supply enough fuel volume that is required under heavy acceleration and wide open throttle.

If you had a scan tool you could look at the fuel adaptive memory and see if the PCM is trying to add excessive fuel under heavy acceleration. If that is the case then you would know that the PCM is doing its job. Grab a fuel pressure gauge from Harbor Freight or rent one from the local parts store and see what you have.

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I have a vehicle that acts like yours the first thing I do I check the fuel pressure. The fuel pump may be good enough to start the engine and keep it running and driving under normal, non-aggressive driving but it may not be able to supply enough fuel volume that is required under heavy acceleration and wide open throttle.

If you had a scan tool you could look at the fuel adaptive memory and see if the PCM is trying to add excessive fuel under heavy acceleration. If that is the case then you would know that the PCM is doing its job. Grab a fuel pressure gauge from Harbor Freight or rent one from the local parts store and see what you have.

I didn’t even think of that! I agree. Only thing is the fuel pump is a giant PIA to change in these trucks.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I didn’t even think of that! I agree. Only thing is the fuel pump is a giant PIA to change in these trucks.

Nah, come on man. Haha, just giving you a hard time. These pumps are easy. I would put a gauge on it and see what the pump is doing.

To confirm a loss of fuel pressure, if the hose is long enough, out the gauge under the windshield wiper and go for a drive. Get rolling and go wide open throttle with the skinny pedal and watch the gauge to see if the pressure falls off when the engine begins to stall or spit and sputte.

OP
OP
C

Craig Schendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds good, I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge but I will try and get one. I do have a good scanner tool that I can check live data so will do both. It’s just frustrating that it just all of a sudden happened one day

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds good, I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge but I will try and get one. I do have a good scanner tool that I can check live data so will do both. It’s just frustrating that it just all of a sudden happened one day
You can buy a cheap fuel pressure gauge from Harbor Freight or even rent one from a local parts store.

With your scan tool, if you can view the fuel adaptive memory, look at the short term fuel trim when the engine begins to stall or big down. If the short term fuel trim is trending positive in the +12 to +30 range under wide open throttle then the engine is being starved for fuel and the PCM is trying to make the AFR correction but can't because the fuel volume is too low.

OP
OP
C

Craig Schendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So yep I found out I am losing fuel pressure down to below 10 psi in hard acceleration. So going to replace fuel pump unless you guys know of anything else to check first

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So yep I found out I am losing fuel pressure down to below 10 psi in hard acceleration. So going to replace fuel pump unless you guys know of anything else to check first
Oh cool. Sounds good man. That will make a huge difference for sure.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good call Fast69Mopar

That’s a big job OP. You gotta remove the bed.

It's really easier to remove the fuel tank if you are low on fuel. You can out the rear axle on jack stands and lower the tank down far enough to see the fuel line connection and the electrical connector.

The bed does come up fairly easy if that is what you feel comfortable with but not everyone has the equipment to raise the bed.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
It's really easier to remove the fuel tank if you are low on fuel. You can out the rear axle on jack stands and lower the tank down far enough to see the fuel line connection and the electrical connector.

The bed does come up fairly easy if that is what you feel comfortable with but not everyone has the equipment to raise the bed.
I did this 3 times removing the bed. 2 times replacing a fuel pump on both trucks and another putting a new bed on my single cab. You just need four people to lift the bed and you're good to go. Just buy your friends beer lol