4.88 gear swap? pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_Michel00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So on my 2wd 4th gen ram 1500 I'm currently running the stock gears but and with 37's it drives perfectly fine but with 40's i definitely feel the difference. I swap from 40's to 37's only when i have to tow heavy loads but was wondering would that gear be good? i hear things about people not driving far because they don't want there gears to get hot etc. but i drive a ton and wanna be sure i can drive from fl to other state with my camper.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have decent quality gears and they are properly setup they shouldn't get any hotter than the factory gears. Yes, lower gears will spin faster/more (ring gear will spin the same speed, but the pinion will be turning faster) than the current gears, but when you factor in the larger tires they won't be spinning much, if any, faster than stock gears with stock tires. In any case not enough difference that is should cause problems.

OP
OP
Alex_Michel00

Alex_Michel00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you have decent quality gears and they are properly setup they shouldn't get any hotter than the factory gears. Yes, lower gears will spin faster/more (ring gear will spin the same speed, but the pinion will be turning faster) than the current gears, but when you factor in the larger tires they won't be spinning much, if any, faster than stock gears with stock tires. In any case not enough difference that is should cause problems.
ahh ok thank you so much, i could really use the re-gear to make it easier spinning the 40's but was scared i wouldn't be able to do long trips