4 wheel drive problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LacyLou2

Reaction score
Ram Year
my 2001 dodge ram 1500 when in four wheel drive there is a loud popping noise and I can feel truck jerk it kinda acts like as if I was turning real sharp but i'm not I am going straight changed actuator and checked u joints all good any help would be great

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Check front driveshaft joints. I recommend removing it to check them. The double cardan joint in they POS is kind of a bear

OP
OP
L

LacyLou2

Reaction score
Ram Year
did that took the drive line out drove the truck without it and as I expected no problem

OP
OP
L

LacyLou2

Reaction score
Ram Year
no problem with drive shaft Drove truck with out drive shaft and as I expected there was noise Thought that might tell me if problem was in transfer case

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check your tire sizes, my neighbor had this happen to him. The tire shop installed a tire that was slightly smaller and would cause problems in 4X4

OP
OP
L

LacyLou2

Reaction score
Ram Year
tires are good. What happened was my granddaughter took it cause the roads were bad and drove 140 miles and just before she got home it started she drove the last ten miles in two wheel drive i've been trying to figure it out since