4 wheel drive service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Again, not sure where this post should be. If it is moved, I hope that someone lets me know where it is. Again while going down the road at highway speeds, the information on the screen says that the 4 wheel drive needs serviced, the little yellow light comes on the dash and it sounds like the front wheels are trying to engage. I pull over and work the switch to engage the 4wd and it will go out. The dealership says that it shows a code but it is not stored in the computer to the exact issue to begin to look at. My thought is that since it shows the code to service the 4wd, why can someone not be able to look at why this might happen and tell me where we should start to look to avoid tearing the front end apart.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
To be clear,
when you pulled over and attempted to put in 4wd, the warning lamp went out?
Did the truck go into 4wd?
Did you attempt to drive it?
If it went into 4wd, did you then go back to 2wd? If so, did it shift properly?
Did the lamp come back on?

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The "service 4wd" lamp is what came on.

Pulled over and attempted to put it in 42d mode. Once the truck went into 4wd, that light went on. Did not attempt to drive it then. Put back into 2wd, that lamp went back into and showed that it was in 2wd and after that, the "service 4wd went out. It shifted well. Hope this helps.

Alan Ader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l diesel
This happened to us as well. A new 2018 3500 4x4 6.7l diesel. We were pulling a trailer in 2wd driving at 60mph hit some rumble strips and the "service 4 wheel drive" light came on and my front wheels gave an awful noise. Pulled off turned the engine off and turned it back on and it has run normally. Need to take it to a dealer for this and my brake lights

Ronnyd8719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have an issue. I have a dodge ram 2011 4x4 . The 4x4 service light would come on sometime and the 4x4 would not work. This went on for a few months. Took it to the shop they clean the connector. It seamed to help, but started again. One day my battery went died. I changed the battery and the problem went away. I have had the 4x4 service light come on once since. I have a CB radio and I left it on overnight. The 4x4 service came on. So it seams if you have a little low voltage you may not have enough to check the 4x4 and the service light comes on. I hope this helps someone. I know it could be a lot of thinks but this is an easy one to check.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado