4 x 2 in rain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad I don't live down there anymore, but the idiots up here are just as bad. I've always said that heavy rain is the southern equivalent to northern snow. Idiots still think they can drive just like it's clear, and sometimes worse.

I recall while living in FL, being told that many of the roads were made with crushed coral, and that made it more slick in the rain. Not sure how true that is, but I do remember in the roads around my hos seeing bits of shells and such.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad I don't live down there anymore, but the idiots up here are just as bad. I've always said that heavy rain is the southern equivalent to northern snow. Idiots still think they can drive just like it's clear, and sometimes worse.

I recall while living in FL, being told that many of the roads were made with crushed coral, and that made it more slick in the rain. Not sure how true that is, but I do remember in the roads around my hos seeing bits of shells and such.

I could see the older roads being like that... the new roads look like all asphalt.

There is no medium with rain drivers here. Like you you either have people that go 30 under, or the people that go 30 over in the rain (assuming frustrated by the people going slow). Like just do the speed limit and everyone will be fine.

Of course when you being blinded by the sun AND it's pouring rain - it's just a crap shoot at that point lol.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it's been a loooong time since I lived down there.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far so good. Not one bit of slip at the boat ramp yesterday. A few rain storms no slipping.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Knock on wood but I've had no issues in heavy rain with the stock tires.

Still want to switch them out for 33's but they have done a good job in the first 2k miles.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Knock on wood but I've had no issues in heavy rain with the stock tires.

Still want to switch them out for 33's but they have done a good job in the first 2k miles.

The factory tires are few classes above the old SR-As. They have great reviews, so glad to hear they doing good so far.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4x4 in the rain??? As a Canadian I can barely believe what I'm reading. Mind you we don't get hurricane type rain here, but from what I see on the news, not many people venture out during the storms... ??

Hell I live in the country, up north, and I barely use 4x4! I used it to pull my tractor out of the ditch, and another Ram out of the ditch once.. But a good set of winter tires will do ya.

I literally can't imagine thinking, Ohh its raining.. better put it into 4x4.

Haha.. Sorry I just can't stop laughing.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4x4 in the rain??? As a Canadian I can barely believe what I'm reading. Mind you we don't get hurricane type rain here, but from what I see on the news, not many people venture out during the storms... ??

Hell I live in the country, up north, and I barely use 4x4! I used it to pull my tractor out of the ditch, and another Ram out of the ditch once.. But a good set of winter tires will do ya.

I literally can't imagine thinking, Ohh its raining.. better put it into 4x4.

Haha.. Sorry I just can't stop laughing.

Well when you buy your winter home here - you will be in for a tough lesson. Just don't drive slow please lol.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do find when it's been hot out for days and it rains the roads are a lot slicker than when it's cool and always raining. Makes sense Florida roads would be slicker in the rain with that logic.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You would be incorrect. I consider rain to be the southern equivalent of northern snow. People seem to drive worse in it.

On the trip down to FL last week, I was amazed at the fools still blasting along at 70 when I can hardly see the lights of the car in front of me.

I lived in Omaha without 4x4 for a while. But honestly, after Japan, the measly bit of snow Omaha gets isn't much. They do however get a lot of ice. Still, having 4x4 there was handy. I loved my old AMC Eagle wagon.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I live in Florida and I wouldn't own a 4X2. I do some towing (enclosed car trailer) and end up in sandy areas at events. I've needed 4wd to get in and out more than once. Although I don't have a boat right now it also comes in handy at boat ramps.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a judgement call. Having to do most of my own work, it's easier not to have it in the way, and the additional maintenance.

Just the other day it was raining, and I spun the rear wheel coming up a wet driveway onto the road. It's one of the rare occasions when the PC is useful. Throw it in Eco, and driving in slick conditions is much easier.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will do. Although, this is South Florida and folks will do 90 in the rain with bald tires in a Geo... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who has a Geo that does 90!!??? LOL

In my opinion for 2WD or 4WD in the rain, I have been in a 4WD most of my life. To this day, I only use 4WD when I physically can no longer move in 2WD. Usually when I am in snow or mud. Like some other folks posted, it doesn't matter how many drive tires you have on the ground, if they become disconnected from the ground just hang on for the ride, and hope for the best. There is no need to be driving like a bat out hell in the rain anyways.

"I don't always drive in 4WD, but when I do........!" Stay safe my friends!