42in Curved LED Light Bar in Express Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turboguy327

Reaction score
I'll be doing a write up with the rest of the steps once I get time to work on it some more. As for the wiring, I'm having a friend of mine assist with it since he is a lighting up-fitter for vehicles. Here is how the wiring should go:

-Power wire from light bar to switch inside cab

-Ground wire from light bar grounded to truck (hopefully to a bumper support)

-Main Power wire from switch to battery with inline fuse

-Switch grounded to truck inside cab

This will allow for me to use the light bar with the truck on and off since it will be able to access power at all times.

That's not the right way to do it. You want to use a relay. Make it safe and do it right.

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's not the right way to do it. You want to use a relay. Make it safe and do it right.

The light bar will draw 20 amps: 240W = 20A X 12V
The switch I am using is rated for 25 amps
I will be using 12 gauge wire and an inline fuse

It will be done right with proper heat shrink connections, wire loom, etc. With the 12 gauge wire, inline fuse and 25 amp switch, I don't believe I will be required to use a relay since the draw will be lower than the 25 amp rating.

Thanks for the concern though

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hmmmm interesting. Thanks! There is enough room to run the wires and have everything mounted correctly though.
Barely, but that's where my switch is too. I used a rubber grommet around the switch as a spacer to make it work there.

Your install is looking really good. It almost looks like that light bar was made specifically for a Ram Express.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

turboguy327

Reaction score
The light bar will draw 20 amps: 240W = 20A X 12V

The switch I am using is rated for 25 amps

I will be using 12 gauge wire and an inline fuse

It will be done right with proper heat shrink connections, wire loom, etc. With the 12 gauge wire, inline fuse and 25 amp switch, I don't believe I will be required to use a relay since the draw will be lower than the 25 amp rating.

Thanks for the concern though

You also have to consider ease of wiring and efficiency. The light will work better getting more power and the extra wiring and switch increase resistance. Not much, but why go through all the effort if you're not gonna go all the way? I have stuff drawing 2-3 amps and still use a relays. Most up fitters do as well so that's why I do it.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Not to mention having the power in the cab with you...

2013sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Howcome I am unable to see any of the pictures?

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You need to look harder! :crazy: I'm seeing them fine on my phone. Maybe some kind of blocker you have going? I know my work computer blocks some pics from showing based on how they are linked/uploaded.

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I don't understand this forum when it comes to pictures. I've been on four others over the years and have never had any issue with uploading pictures and keeping them visible. All photos are located in a photo album on my profile which is where I got the BB Code from. Is anyone else having an issue viewing the pictures?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't understand this forum when it comes to pictures. I've been on four others over the years and have never had any issue with uploading pictures and keeping them visible. All photos are located in a photo album on my profile which is where I got the BB Code from. Is anyone else having an issue viewing the pictures?
The first few were good but when you went back and edited the first post, the next set of steps you uploaded just said "gif" on my phone using tapatalk.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I don't see the pics anymore either. Logging in on the same PC here. I had posts on other forums vanish before I realized I couldn't erase the pic on photobucket. Sounds like that is not the issue here though.

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't see the pics anymore either. Logging in on the same PC here. I had posts on other forums vanish before I realized I couldn't erase the pic on photobucket. Sounds like that is not the issue here though.

Let me go back and redo all of the BB Coding for each picture and see if that brings them back

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BB Coding has been redone. Hopefully everyone can view the pictures again now.

Last edited:

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pics are working now.
Thanks for the update.
Looks good. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got the exact setup for on mine. Did you have to bend the angle bar any? My light shines more to the right on the road for some reason.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stringer did you place the light bar as far as it would go in the bumper to mount it?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bolted the Light bar bracket straight onto the plastic ..lol... Still holding after 4 years

139387142_10159229624408552_6351513337631605994_o.jpg