46RE issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasha McDonald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
needing some help with the tranny. Truck is a ‘97 Ram 1500 5.2L with a 46RE transmission. Has 94k mi on it. When I bought it, if I put it in drive after reverse, it would not shift to other gears as I drove. When I put it in reverse, then park, then drive, it would shift in drive like normal. I have been told to replace the solenoids, which I did and it didn’t do anything. Then I replaced both solenoids again, the speed sensor, and the 8 plug wiring system. I also pulled the valve body and installed a Sonnax sure cure. I installed an oversized transmission fluid pan as well. Now, after all the work it will not go in reverse at all. Drive and other gears work well. Shifts smooth, no noises and no noises when shifting. Hoping to get some help here to steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
needing some help with the tranny. Truck is a ‘97 Ram 1500 5.2L with a 46RE transmission. Has 94k mi on it. When I bought it, if I put it in drive after reverse, it would not shift to other gears as I drove. When I put it in reverse, then park, then drive, it would shift in drive like normal. I have been told to replace the solenoids, which I did and it didn’t do anything. Then I replaced both solenoids again, the speed sensor, and the 8 plug wiring system. I also pulled the valve body and installed a Sonnax sure cure. I installed an oversized transmission fluid pan as well. Now, after all the work it will not go in reverse at all. Drive and other gears work well. Shifts smooth, no noises and no noises when shifting. Hoping to get some help here to steer me in the right direction. Thanks!
You will probably need to adjust the Reverse Band. Remove the transmission pan. 46RE Reverse Band.jpg

This is a pic of the revese band and its apply lever. The adjustment for the band is the threaded adjuster with the jam nut. Before you break the nut loose, operate the apply lever to see how loose it really is. Pull down on the apply lever where it protrudes into the accumulator piston on the left in this pic. The apply lever should only move a maximum of 3/8". I like to set them between 1/4" to 3/8" of travel. When the band wears over time it needs to be adjusted so when it is applied it can squeeze the rear clutch retainer.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The bands aren’t set to travel, the band screws are adjust to a set torque value then loosened back off a certain amount of turns. Not doing it the correct way can lead to shorter band life & trans failure and poor shift quality.

here is the proper way to set the bands.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmission/automatic/AT_band_adj.htm