46RE new install grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lemmo419

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I purchased a rebuilt 46RE and TC a few months back from a rebuild shop. After several months I finally got around to putting it in last week in my 2001 1500 5.9L 4x4 sport.
I did everything as per the chilton manual, made sure TC was seated correctly.

Today I filled it with 8 qts of fluid and started it up. As soon as it started I was hearing a loud grinding noise coming from the TC / bell housing area. I let it idle in park for a few min and the noise seemed to fluctuate as it sat but never went away. It was related to engine speed too as I revved it up the grinding would speed up.

Could this just be because the TC has not filled up with fluid yet? I know 8 qts is not a full fill but I figured it would be enough to start off and get stuff flowing. I have a standard pan and a cooling system on it. Is 8qts way too little?

Any ideas why a new tranny and TC would be grinding like that in park?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome to RF!

Sounds to me like there is a shaft misalignment. You did get the TC and the trans mated properly right? The other thing I would do is pull it back out and check the flywheel/flexplate. It may have been grinding on the starter or a dropped bolt or something of that nature.

OP
OP
L

lemmo419

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Figured it out. Luckily it was no where near as big of a deal as I feared. Crawled under and noticed the thin sheet metal of the dust cover had been slightly bent in just enough to be rubbing the flex plate bolts as they spun around. Simply took a flat head screw driver and bent the cover back out and all fixed.

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
I wish all fixes were that easy. Nice find.

willywilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
good find

good find...I usually don't find such until I have pulled things apart again...I once rebuilt a 396 engine because of the fuel pump pushrod being on a weak fuel pump spring...I did it myself because I had had 2 shops diagnose the knocking sound and told me I needed a rebuild! Live and Learn

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well done...

lurkmoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old thread, I hope someone is still around that can help.

I just rebuilt my 46RE transmission and replaced the torque converter on my 2001 1500 5.9 4x4. As soon as I started it up for the first time after rebuild, I have a loud rattling noise, that sounds similar to what Lemmo419 described. Except I also have no drive or reverse.

Any ideas for what to check and troubleshoot?