4k pinging under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2017 5.7 16k miles feel like since I bought it has pinged when in the 4k rpm range under load. Especially when towing and in tow mode. Never does it in nornal driving. Just under load like towing my boat.

Never ran anything except 89 in it. Multiple brands doesn't seem to change. It's not super loud if the radio is on you don't hear it. If window down and the radio is off you def hear it.

Obviously still under warranty but feel like it's one of those things a dealer won't be able to replicate. Anyone else? Ideas? Normal?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Try a tank of 91 octane in it as see if its still there.

Maybe the knock sensor is bad ?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel like I hear my engine ping around 2K RPM under similar circumstances (light load in my case...I dont tow, but think of going up a small hill with enough throttle to get up it but not enough to cause a downshift)

I can only hear mine when it can "bounce" off objects (walls, guardrails, etc) and only if the windows are down.

Point being....is it definitely a ping or maybe just something rattling? which is what Im starting to think mine might be.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try a tank of 91 octane in it as see if its still there.

Maybe the knock sensor is bad ?

Not sure I have to do the tailgate recall, Cruise, and the door open parking thing. So when I go to do those I'll have them check it out. I'll throw in some 91 next time I tow

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel like I hear my engine ping around 2K RPM under similar circumstances (light load in my case...I dont tow, but think of going up a small hill with enough throttle to get up it but not enough to cause a downshift)

I can only hear mine when it can "bounce" off objects (walls, guardrails, etc) and only if the windows are down.

Point being....is it definitely a ping or maybe just something rattling? which is what Im starting to think mine might be.

I'm not 100% sure on this. Today just to test it out on the way to work I turned the radio off, windows down, and hammered it. I heard nothing but roaring Carven and engine at 4k rpms. So maybe its only doing it towing or when I'm in tow mode? Could be a rattle of some kind but not sure why it would do it at 4k other than engine vibrating more.

I'll throw it in tow mode after work and hammer it and see without the boat on.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I worry that mine might be torque converter related...maybe yours is too?

My selling dealer dismissed it as internal exhaust resonance/harmonics. Haven't tried a second dealer yet.

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does this too, doesn't matter if towing or not. Only one or two pings. Drives me crazy

Warren Warburton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine sounded like gas knocking as I accelerated. I put high octane gas in it and that did not cure the knocking. Only by accident, I was working on the front suspension and noticed that 3 exhaust manifold bolts on the driver's side were broken off. New bolts, knocking sound fixed. You would not believe how small the 4.7 exhaust manifold bolts are.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a 2017 with 6K miles on it....I would sure hope the manifold bolts arent broken already! but I cant exactly reach all of them easily to tell by myself.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is a 2017 with 6K miles on it....I would sure hope the manifold bolts arent broken already! but I cant exactly reach all of them easily to tell by myself.

Whats the easiest way to tell if they were broke? Would they spin? I've thought about that, but I don't have a tick or anything else going on. I use 5w30 redline

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats the easiest way to tell if they were broke? Would they spin? I've thought about that, but I don't have a tick or anything else going on. I use 5w30 redline

No idea, honestly.

I would think they would spin if you put a socket on them and turn, but they seem so small I wouldnt want to risk actually snapping them myself. Nor would I want to end up tightening them out of order which could lead to warpage and them breaking anyway.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2017 5.7 16k miles feel like since I bought it has pinged when in the 4k rpm range under load. Especially when towing and in tow mode. Never does it in nornal driving. Just under load like towing my boat.

Never ran anything except 89 in it. Multiple brands doesn't seem to change. It's not super loud if the radio is on you don't hear it. If window down and the radio is off you def hear it.

Obviously still under warranty but feel like it's one of those things a dealer won't be able to replicate. Anyone else? Ideas? Normal?

I think I would check the timing, never assume the truck came perfect. You say you never used anything but 89, maybe you should try 87 and see what it does. If it gets worse, just have some octane boost on hand and you will know what the issue is. There are a host of things it can be, but if 87 makes it worse, then it can only be a very few things, retard the timing will likely fix it.

If you are not gonna take it to the dealer, run the tank down low, add 1/2 a tank of 87 and let us know what happens. More pronounced ping will tell the story.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would datalogging help any?

I purchased AlfaODB to go along with my bluetooth to ODB adapter. I can watch the STKR value (short term knock retard) along with lots of other stuff.

In my case, with my truck making the "pining" noise, STKR is still 0. So, Im thinking its not sensing knock because its not really knocking. Ive also watched the raw knock sensor voltage values but I know there is a lot of massaging that goes on for teh ECU to convert those to "need to pull timing becasue of knock" so they dont necessarily help much to look at.

@bchap05 might be able to try something similar.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've seen it reported timing chain slop can be an issue even with a new hemi. The timing looks right but the slop was so bad under load it messed the timing up. I have zero evidence of this, just that I've read someone talking on it.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen it reported timing chain slop can be an issue even with a new hemi. The timing looks right but the slop was so bad under load it messed the timing up. I have zero evidence of this, just that I've read someone talking on it.

That must be fun to diagnose! Does the base timing just go all wacky depending on RPMs, instead of a smooth up or down depending on RPM+load?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
He found out when he was timing his hemi and his kid accidentally hit the gas, lol. Again, that was what was reported, I have no opinion on the veracity of the claim, but most pings are timing issues and I found that plausible enough to add it. Sometimes we miss the old days when you can change the air filter and adjust the carb to fix almost anything, lol.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tried to make it do it after work. Tow mode on or off 4-6k rpm sounds fine. So must only be doing it towing for sure

John-e-racer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pardon my ignorance but isn’t some pinging normal? *** cars do it At lower idle as the computer adjust timing. I don’t know much about pinging. VW had a knock sensor that adjusted timing based on engine ping

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The gas powered trucks run lean by design. When towing a load it is adisable to use a higher octane level fuel, espcially in warmer ambient temps, to avoid detonation and losing power as the computer starts to pull timing.

For instance, if you are normally using 87 octane fuel, try going to 89 or higher. If running 89, try some 91/9 or higher.

I got better tow mileage and detonation went away when I went to 92 octane fuel.