4th Gen 3.6l upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
I'm creating this post just to give anyone with this 3.6l truck that there is hope for people like me searching for more power/performance. Hopefully this helps because there really aren't a whole lot of people out there modding these trucks, and I personally had to get a lot of my info from different YouTube videos on chargers and challengers. I currently own a 2013 3.6l Ram1500 SLT. The trucks been a great truck for a V6. I purchased the truck with just under 75,000 miles and currently the truck now has 110,000. Over the last several months I've invested roughly about $7,000.00 in upgrades chasing power/performance. I'm not a youtuber or blogger. I'm just simply posting about what I've done to my truck to hopefully help anyone out there chasing things down to modify their truck. This truck gets on it; I just don't have dyno numbers to show the power and performance gains. Butt dyno says I'm probably close to pushing 340HP, that's if the trucks stock 305HP claims are true. I'm waiting on an upgraded tune from Edge Tuners for there CTS 3 tuner. I will eventually get around to putting this truck on a dyno. I'm hopefully going to reach my goal of 350-360HP. I'm currently averaging 18mpg which is down from my 23mpg average before mods. Hopefully after the tune I hope to reach an average of 20mpg.

1) K&N 77 Series intake
2) Upgraded lower PUG intake manifold
3) BBK 78mm throttle body
4) RIPP coil packs
5) NGK laser iridium plugs
6) Magnaflow Axle back race series catback exhaust
7) G2 4:56 rearend
8) Diablo tuner/tune
9) 180 degree thermostat (not installed yet)
10) 4" Rough Country lift
11) 315/70/r17 Proline ATs
12) 17" Method NV Bronze wheels
13) Pedal Commander BT
14) Deleted Active Grill Shutters (recommended for maintaining stock engine temps with stock thermostat on a lifted V6)
15) ALPINE ILX-207 Head unit
16) Pennzoil Full Premium Synthetic

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What brand of 180 degree thermostat are you running?

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Mishimoto. I don’t have it installed yet. I need a 90 degree water neck to replace the stock thermostat. Dodge thermostat is built into the water neck so you can’t interchange thermostats.

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Installed new Diablo tuner and applied the 87 octane tune. I deleted 4 cylinder mode, added my tire size, and applied 6% throttle. This thing gets on it. I was able to constantly average 23mpgs at 65mph. I’m going to clock my 0-60 tomorrow and see where I’m at. I can not complain at all with the performance of this truck with all the mods. The only issue I’m having at the moment is that when I’m stuck in bumper to bumper traffic that my engine temps are reaching the 220-230 degree mark. I’m trying to figure out if that’s fixable with the tuner or if I need to get around to adding the 180 degree thermostat. Regardless of that I’m 100% happy with where this V6 truck is at with power and performance.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Installed new Diablo tuner and applied the 87 octane tune. I deleted 4 cylinder mode, added my tire size, and applied 6% throttle. This thing gets on it. I was able to constantly average 23mpgs at 65mph. I’m going to clock my 0-60 tomorrow and see where I’m at. I can not complain at all with the performance of this truck with all the mods. The only issue I’m having at the moment is that when I’m stuck in bumper to bumper traffic that my engine temps are reaching the 220-230 degree mark. I’m trying to figure out if that’s fixable with the tuner or if I need to get around to adding the 180 degree thermostat. Regardless of that I’m 100% happy with where this V6 truck is at with power and performance.
There is no 4 cylinder mode on the v6. And your butt dyno defiantly need a calibration...
305 crank hp, with all your mods listed, i would be surprised if you gained 10-15 hp at most, more likely closer to 7 or 8 hp.
I have the same engine in my truck. It's not full of hidden power until it'***** with forced induction.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
There is no 4 cylinder mode on the v6. And your butt dyno defiantly need a calibration...
305 crank hp, with all your mods listed, i would be surprised if you gained 10-15 hp at most, more likely closer to 7 or 8 hp.
I have the same engine in my truck. It's not full of hidden power until it'***** with forced induction.

I appreciate the feedback but I beg to differ. My main point with this post was trying to point out that you can lift this truck and still obtain good power and performance while still maintaining decent gas mileage. If you or no one else gives a **** thats cool too. I’m just simply pointing out what I’ve done to my 3.6 and what I’ve experienced. I can’t complain with where the trucks progress is currently at. I highly doubt my butt dyno is off as you say. 7-8hp isn’t even noticeable. I switched 4 cylinder mode off and my down shifting problem that I was experiencing went away. Never said that the truck had 4 cylinder mode. I just turned the feature off in the tuner and my down shifting issues went away. Sorry if that was a misleading statement but switching that feature off through the tuner fixed my problem. Like I said before I will eventually be going on dyno and when that happens I’ll gladly post my results

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Of your mods, the 4.56 gear is the one that I think was the greatest Return on Investment.

I have a ProCharged V6 Mustang that turned out really well. So I agree with the dude that suggested forced induction.

Octane

Reaction score
What is a 4 cylinder mode or "feature" though?

Octane

Reaction score
Of your mods, the 4.56 gear is the one that I think was the greatest Return on Investment.

I have a ProCharged V6 Mustang that turned out really well. So I agree with the dude that suggested forced induction.
Gears and a tune will do it everytime on actual returns,forced induction obviously would.

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
What is a 4 cylinder mode or "feature" though?

don’t entirely remember what the name of the feature was. I believe it was listed as MDS I’d something along that line. I clicked on it and it pulled up 4 cylinder mode on-off. All I know is that my down shifting issues went away after I did that. I’m figuring this stuff out as I go. I now can average 20.5 MPG at 75 MPH, and if I drop my MPH to 65-68 I can get easy 23 MPG... I really could never consistently average 23 with the truck in stock form. I will say that I don’t even use my Peddle Commander now since the tune

Octane

Reaction score
don’t entirely remember what the name of the feature was. I believe it was listed as MDS I’d something along that line. I clicked on it and it pulled up 4 cylinder mode on-off. All I know is that my down shifting issues went away after I did that. I’m figuring this stuff out as I go. I now can average 20.5 MPG at 75 MPH, and if I drop my MPH to 65-68 I can get easy 23 MPG... I really could never consistently average 23 with the truck in stock form. I will say that I don’t even use my Peddle Commander now since the tune
The software menu must be similar to the v8 equipped vehicles then,as mds is only on them when equipped with automatic transmissions

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
The software menu must be similar to the v8 equipped vehicles then,as mds is only on them when equipped with automatic transmissions

So are you saying that even though I may have and automatic V6, that only the V8s have 4 cylinder mode? If that is true and I’m not doubting you, than I wonder why my down shifting issue was fixed... if you or someone else knows I’d like to know

Octane

Reaction score
So are you saying that even though I may have and automatic V6, that only the V8s have 4 cylinder mode? If that is true and I’m not doubting you, than I wonder why my down shifting issue was fixed... if you or someone else knows I’d like to know
Mds= v8. Maybe you had a glitch and the tuner? May have taken it out? Or pedal commander? It's anybodys guess,I guess.And there are transmission tuners avail out there too if you're interested

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like said above, there never has been a 4th gen pentastar equipped Ram 1500 w/ MDS or "4cyl mode". The engine isn't built with it, nor is any of the hardware/software on the truck.

Not sure where the OP saw this, but I'm assuming it's from an aftermarket scanner/programmer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963