4th Gen Aggressive Suburban Highway-Warrior Build? (Tires/Wheels/Lift/Exhaust)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All!

I drive a 2018 RAM 1500 4WD 5.7 Hemi Night-Edition Sport (Granite Crystal) (Sport hood), 3.21 axel-ratio with 20X8 stock black wheels and some bald 275/60R20 stock tires. I'm 5 years into my ownership and figure that if I'm going to mod/outfit my truck, now is the time to do it. I'm looking for as aggressive of a daily driver as I can go without sacrificing too much from the stock feel. Here is what I'm thinking for a build...

A few background notes:
- I don't drive often or far, mainly highways and the odd backroad, primarily a family hauler for 10-30 minute drives. 62000km in 5 years. My 5-year warranty expires tomorrow.
- I LOVE how the stock truck drives. Super smooth, responsive.
- I live in snowy Canada, and have to deal with snow ~4 months of the year. Snow-performance/safety is a priority.
- I like the default V8 Hemi sound. Would love to amplify it a little, add some throat/bass, without changing the note, adding rasp, waking up my neighbors)
- I'm not a big fan of my stock rake/stance. Would like to make my truck sit a little prouder/level, higher, and look aggressive, without sacrificing the fruits of a daily driver (quieter, smoother ride, better fuel mileage (not as important) ). I don't off-road or tow (at the moment).
- Looking for about 1" of poke from the body.

Mods:
- Lift: 2" Mopar Bilstein Front Suspension Lift.
- Tires: 285/65/R20 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 (3 Peak Snow Rated version) (Also considering Falken Wildpeaks, Nitto EXO Grapplers )
- Wheels: 20x9 Offset: 0 (I haven't chosen exact model yet) ( my dealer recommended against a 20x10, citing that I'll need a 12.5" tire )
- Exhaust: Borla 2009-2022 Ram 1500 Cat-Back Exhaust System, TOURING sound level.
- Intake: Mopar Cold Air Intake (recommendations?)
- (Maybe) Body-color fender flares

Thoughts on how this build would look/ride, based on my criteria above?

Questions I have:
- My understanding is that this lift kit doesn't add/change the suspension in the rear. If I paid more for Bilsteins in the back, would it make my ride better? Would going to a 2.5" or 3" lift with updated suspension for all 4 wheels be recommended for smooth ride/optimal stance?
- I am targeting 285/65/R20 on 20x9 to gain the ~1" in height, and add some width, over stock, but to still keep it on the more conservative side for width/weight, and to avoid spreading out my pounds per inch too much and losing performance on ice/snow. I haven't seen too many setups with this tire - thoughts on how it will look?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice - much appreciated.
Yak

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Your definately in the right place. Now the only real thing to consider is how much do you want to spend $$$.

Lots of great threads in the forum covering all Pros and Cons of pretty much everything out there As well as pics showing examples :waytogo:

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you looked at the Readylift system? 4" system that retains the stock ride at a very good price point. Not an off road lift but when installed correctly looks and performs good.

A few members here have it and are pleased with it.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might want to consider the Borla Touring cat back system if you only want slightly louder better sound. It will be much louder for the rear seat passengers so consider that too. I have the touring system and if in the back when the truck drops out of overdrive on the high it is fairly loud.

sskoczen1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 18 just like yours and recently upgraded to a 19 Limited. I did a lot of homework and my goals were very similar to yours. I read just about all you could possibly read about suspension for these trucks and messaged with guys that have had the best (king) suspension. Guys are going to talk crap and parrot what they have read but I would go with the 2” Rough Country struts. They are just under $350 for the pair and come ready to roll. If you go Billstein or some of the others you have to compress springs and all that. The gentleman whom I corresponded with the most has had every coilover you can imagine and he landed on the Rough Country and at the time had them for over a year and loves the ride smooth as stock and a little better off road. Rear shocks you can get Billstein, Fox or check our the adjustable Ranchos. Rancho is not the coolest brand but they are 150psi and have 9 settings to meet your desired ride needs. You might consider progressive springs like Carli or Icon in the rear. For the exhaust go with a muffler and tips. I have the Black Widow 350 I think and it’s just right. I kept the resonators but plan on removing them. There are nice 5” tips for $130-$150 can’t recall off the top of my head but get them off. Amazon. You can also pick up a Borla Attack muffler or Sportsman and be good. If you want the full exhaust go with Corsa trust me it’s mean but costs about $1700. You have other option for front coilovers Belltech came out with some that look like a bargain. From what I have gathered people think Coilovers give a plush ride and that is not always true. I can hear guys now saying Rough Country is trash Billstein all day and that is great but I literally researched and entire summer and they are hit or miss. Some like some say they ride rough. These RC loaded struts will be perfect for what your trying to do. They have 3” as well but then you need UACs . Good luck.

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info/advice/suggestions, All!

I'm narrowing my build to the following:

- Tires: 285/65/R20 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 (3 Peak Snow Rated version)
- Wheels: 20x9 Offset: 1 Fuel Militias (Black)
- Exhaust: Borla 2009-2022 Ram 1500 Cat-Back Exhaust System, TOURING sound level.
- Intake: Mopar Cold Air Intake

For the Lift/Level, I decided on the 4" SST LIFT KIT - DODGE RAM 1500 4WD 2009-2022 with Bilstein Rear Shocks (69-1041 - https://www.readylift.com/4-sst-lift-kit-dodge-ram-1500-4wd-2009-2022-with-bilstein-rear-shocks.html )

As mentioned above, I don't plan to be off-roading at all, and I'm mainly hauling around kids, so I'm deciding to pay the little extra for the 4" SST Lift with the added Bilsteins. Not sure if they'll make a big difference ( or no difference, or a negative difference ), but my rear shocks are stock and 5 years old now - I figure it won't hurt?

Lastly, my question is - if I'm replacing my back shocks with Bilsteins, should I upgrade my front shocks at the same time ( are shocks like guitar strings - should you change them all at the same time? ). If so, do I go with similar Bilstein 5100s in the front, or do I need to go 6100 series?

The Readylift webpage says:
"You can now upgrade your factory front struts to a Bilstein 5100 series replacement body - 24-187367 - This Bilstein is adjustable. If you choose to upgrade, the front strut must be set to the 0 or factory setting to be used with the 4" lift kit".

Thoughts? Is this advised? I'm more concerned with the ride quality than the cost - already going into the pockets.

- Yak

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That SST lift is strut and preload spacers for the front, I don't think you're going to like that ride at 4" lift.

@Quick_Shifter any experience with the SST kit?

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Wider Wheels Plus more aggressive Tires Plus lift kit equals worse fuel mileage. The ride and handling characteristics will not be the same as stock, but that doesn't mean you won't like it. The Freer flowing exhaust may help a little bit with your fuel economy but chances are you're going to like the sound so much you'll be heavier on the throttle anyway. Just food for thought. Not trying to talk you out of your project, it'll sure look and sound cool.

Patola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yak, are you a leafs fan? I'm an internet lurker and I've seen the same username on blog sites.

Anyways, I noticed you kinda described the mods on my truck and I thought I'd finally register lol.

Here's a description of what I've done, I'll take some pictures after work. Everything was done after my warranty and stock tires wore out.

1. Flowmaster outlaw exhaust
2. Bilsteins on all 4 corners, 2.1" level
3. 285-65 r20 KO2s on stock rims
4. Vararam air grabber

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
That SST lift is strut and preload spacers for the front, I don't think you're going to like that ride at 4" lift.

@Quick_Shifter any experience with the SST kit?
Yes as long as they are installed properly the ready lifts kits are really nice

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many thanks for the info/suggestions, Guys! Soooooo I pulled the trigger and the parts are in transit right now... I made a few last minute modifications and ordered the 4" SST with the rear 5100 Bilsteins, along with two additional 5100 Bilsteins for the front, just to match shocks all around. I also last-minute decided to order 295/65R20s instead of 285/65R20s (KO2s) for the extra height and width...I know, more noise, weight, lower MPG but I figured it was the best balance of function/aesthetics (I may well be proven wrong).

I was feeling fairly good about my purchase until (3) new things have donned on me:

1. These are 35" tires on a truck with a 3.21 gear ratio. Hadn't really read too much about regearing until after the purchase. Would you guys recommend regearing if I'm not off-roading? I'd hate to add more cost to the build, but for the sake of the transmission, MPG, and the ride, I'd do it if it's recommended. I've heard 4.56 and 4.88 mentioned on the forums ( and here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-60r20-295-65r20 ), and a lot of guys say it's the best mod/update they've done. If recommended - should I get it done now, when the truck is already on the hoist, or would you recommend I experience the lift/tires at 3.21 for a few months and then upgrade in the spring? ( I won't exactly be ripping around at high speeds in the snow, I'd expect ).

2. My truck will likely be rolling out of the shop into salt-slush roads :( Should I be protecting the new Fuel Militia (matte black) wheels with anything before it leaves the garage? Would like to be able to clean/polish them up in the spring and have them looking like new. ( I could save my new wheels/tires for spring and put winter tires on my stock wheels, but now I'd have to buy new tires for the snow, which was the whole reason I started this build anyway...)

3. I have my truck Krown'd every year for rust-protection, and just had it done. I was going to take it back into the Krown shop after the mods to get them protected before too much salt exposure. Recommended? Will they coat the Bilsteins and if so, will that affect their function in any way?

Thanks in advance for all your help - point of no return :)

@Patola Must be a different Yak - I'm an Oilers/Sens fan :D

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Summers and winters are pretty much the same here in So. Calf.

Many have commented in the forum of having a summer set and a winter set, which is what it was like for me growing up in NJ.

Two points of consideration come to mind.

1. Corrosion. Last thing I want to do is take a great looking set of wheels and have them trashed in a season.

2. Traction. Width and depth of the tread directly affects the gripping ability over a contaminated surface.

That being said, if i lived in such an area, having a ‘winter’ set only makes sense :waytogo:

19warlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any updates on the install? I’m liking the sound of what it is you have in mind. Kinda thinking about doing the same. I would love to see how it turned out.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As others have said, if you're driving in salt use your OEM's with other tires for the winter. I've got my summer whees/tires and my OEM Sports with Goodyear Duratracs for the winter. My OEM's still look great (the factory resist the salt pretty good if you keep the truck washed) and my summer wheels still look brand new.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Many thanks for the info/suggestions, Guys! Soooooo I pulled the trigger and the parts are in transit right now... I made a few last minute modifications and ordered the 4" SST with the rear 5100 Bilsteins, along with two additional 5100 Bilsteins for the front, just to match shocks all around. I also last-minute decided to order 295/65R20s instead of 285/65R20s (KO2s) for the extra height and width...I know, more noise, weight, lower MPG but I figured it was the best balance of function/aesthetics (I may well be proven wrong).

I was feeling fairly good about my purchase until (3) new things have donned on me:

1. These are 35" tires on a truck with a 3.21 gear ratio. Hadn't really read too much about regearing until after the purchase. Would you guys recommend regearing if I'm not off-roading? I'd hate to add more cost to the build, but for the sake of the transmission, MPG, and the ride, I'd do it if it's recommended. I've heard 4.56 and 4.88 mentioned on the forums ( and here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-60r20-295-65r20 ), and a lot of guys say it's the best mod/update they've done. If recommended - should I get it done now, when the truck is already on the hoist, or would you recommend I experience the lift/tires at 3.21 for a few months and then upgrade in the spring? ( I won't exactly be ripping around at high speeds in the snow, I'd expect ).

2. My truck will likely be rolling out of the shop into salt-slush roads :( Should I be protecting the new Fuel Militia (matte black) wheels with anything before it leaves the garage? Would like to be able to clean/polish them up in the spring and have them looking like new. ( I could save my new wheels/tires for spring and put winter tires on my stock wheels, but now I'd have to buy new tires for the snow, which was the whole reason I started this build anyway...)

3. I have my truck Krown'd every year for rust-protection, and just had it done. I was going to take it back into the Krown shop after the mods to get them protected before too much salt exposure. Recommended? Will they coat the Bilsteins and if so, will that affect their function in any way?

1- if you have the 8 speed with the hemi you will be fine to drive around as you say you do. for sure if you want max performance at the strip or offroad or whatever then you will want more gear but the hemi and 8hp with its amazing gear ratios will pull those big wheels wherever you want all day long. try it out like you said you can always regear when you want but $$$$

2- apply a good wax or sealer and wash them often. be sure to clean and anti sieze your wheel hubs.
but theres always the chance of getting them sandblasted by the rocks and salt sand spray from passing trucks.
personally im a big fan of separate wheels/tires for summer/winter

3- I as well use krown yearly. but in this case I would go buy a can of their krown premium anti rust spray or whatever they call it in a spray can and coat the pieces yourself. will take 20 minutes.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi

@CheechDogg.0n37s Would have chimed in by now on the re-gearing. He was very good at convincing us. (Appears to be banned):3639243774_5f528137
Take some time and read a few of the threads on here about re-gearing. There is a lot of information available.
My summary; In order to get power back to the road through my 37" tires , I need to re-gear to at least a 4.88 or a 5.10 range.
If you don't re-gear you feel a difference in your power band and your RPM when accelerating. (like you are pulling a trailer that is changing weights constantly)
Also look into upgrading your brakes, bigger tires = more weight to slow down when braking. (my 37's just needed better pads. they were dusting bad with the old ones.)
I bought the platinum line Duralast or other equivalent brand at Auto Zone that had a warranty. They work great and don't dust as bad.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
@CheechDogg.0n37s Would have chimed in by now on the re-gearing. He was very good at convincing us. (Appears to be banned):3639243774_5f528137
Take some time and read a few of the threads on here about re-gearing. There is a lot of information available.
My summary; In order to get power back to the road through my 37" tires , I need to re-gear to at least a 4.88 or a 5.10 range.
If you don't re-gear you feel a difference in your power band and your RPM when accelerating. (like you are pulling a trailer that is changing weights constantly)
Also look into upgrading your brakes, bigger tires = more weight to slow down when braking. (my 37's just needed better pads. they were dusting bad with the old ones.)
I bought the platinum line Duralast or other equivalent brand at Auto Zone that had a warranty. They work great and don't dust as bad.

Correct, seems it got personal at some point. He’s on the other Ram site as well as instagram

Its so true that most want to go bigger, taller and/ fast but overlook the fact they….. ‘ Hey !!!! How are you gonna stop??!!’

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963