4th gen bed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austin stalhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I recently swapped a 4th gen bed on my 2004 2500. I am wondering what others have done to wire up the tail lights, im currently having issues splicing into the pigtails from the truck (3rd gen) into the pigtails for the new tail lights (4th gen). just wondering what others have done. thanks!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What kind of issues are you having?
Heck, I'm surprised the plug along the frame was different.

OP
OP
A

austin stalhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
on the 2004 the tail light is a 3 bulb or 3 socket system. and on the newer 4th gen it went to a 2 socket or bulb system. so there are 2 extra wires for brakes and turn signals i believe.

currently i have the brake lights and turn signals wired into my trailer wiring because if i tie the extra wires into the sockets i believe that there will be power leading back and blow fuses. thats why im hoping that someone who has done this before can point me in the direction on how they did it

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The original three bulb set up has a separate turn signal and brake light bulb? If that's the case, you would need to use diodes to stop the voltage feedback between the stop light and turn signal circuits. The trailer lights circuit does this for you. If your having hyper-flashing of the turn signals, add a load resistors to the turn signal wires from the original taillights.

OP
OP
A

austin stalhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
so inline diode kits should work then?
it does have hyper flashing but it thinks the rear tail lights are burnt out since they are not hooked up. ill look into the diode kits. thank you very much

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the turn signal and brake light are separate bulbs, then the diodes will keep them from feeding back into each other as the Gen4 tails use one bulb for both.
With the bulbs not hooked up that will cause the bulb out alert