4th Gen OEM LED Taillight, Driver's side, black trim.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Anyone got a 4th Gen OEM LED Taillight, Driver's side, black trim (68093081Ax) that they're willing to sell cheap? Needs to be in full working order.

Mine's got 3 of the 12 or so turn signal LEDs out and keeps triggering the Turn Signal Out warning and causing the indicator and mirror signal to hyper-flash.

-K

Last edited:

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I have one, but it was painted with the niteshade black to darken the lens.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have one, but it was painted with the niteshade black to darken the lens.

Hmm... I see a number of sources (youtube of course) that say rubbing alcohol or gas will remove VHT Niteshade, with gas working better. Have you ever tried it by any chance?

-K

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I did not try gas. The issue might be the clear on top of the vht

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I did not try gas. The issue might be the clear on top of the vht

Supposedly takes that off too. I'm trying to decide if I want to take the chance. Money is very tight right now or I'd just buy a new one. How much you would want for it, shipped to NY zip 12603?

-K

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Let me try removing the nite shade

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
does your right side work ok? I buggered my passenger light on a basketball pole; that's why I only have the left. I bought spyders but they don't seem to play well on my truck. I get hyperflash on my turn signals

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
does your right side work ok? I buggered my passenger light on a basketball pole; that's why I only have the left. I bought spyders but they don't seem to play well on my truck. I get hyperflash on my turn signals

Passenger side is fine, the problem is only with the drivers side (see below for what's wrong with it coursesty of my pathetic video editing skills)

Glad to know that about the Spyder lights, I was considering them as one of the "looks most like the OEM" aftermarket if I can't find an OEM light.

-K

Last edited:

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
the only thing I can see that really does the trick is to sand the clear and VHT off. I didn't find any good evidence gas or anything else solvent based would work without damaging the rest of the housing.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I got the clear and niteshade off, I think. It will require some additional care to gloss it back up.

well, it's nice and shiny now. Lot of work to take that dang niteshade off, and almost 1/3 bottle of acetone. I have to replace my wife's nail polish remover now :)

So, it can be done. I'm on the fence if I want to sell it though. They seem to only get about $100 a side from some recent sales here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So, it can be done. I'm on the fence if I want to sell it though. They seem to only get about $100 a side from some recent sales here.

Good to know that it works.

A salvage yard one is going for anywhere from $85 (listed as "restored") to more than a new one, so that's probably not an unreasonable price point depending on condition.

-K

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I found these on ebay- thy have both left and right. Appears to be a 3rd party OEM look-alike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tail-Light...k-Interior-Clear-Red-w-Bulb-CAPA/371497266303

Lol, yup. @OnSale had pointed them out to me, I bought one about 9:00 this morning after a possible deal for a good salvage yard one fell through. :) Thanks though!

And just to tease me, the one on the truck worked perfectly for half my trip to my sister's this morning and then started acting up again. I suspect a crack in the board that is reacting to temperature.

-K

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lol, yup. @OnSale had pointed them out to me, I bought one about 9:00 this morning after a possible deal for a good salvage yard one fell through. :) Thanks though!

And just to tease me, the one on the truck worked perfectly for half my trip to my sister's this morning and then started acting up again. I suspect a crack in the board that is reacting to temperature.

-K

Could be a loose solder/connection inside the housing. A good plastic knife and some plastic weld and 2-3 hours and you could have fixed it. But then again, most people don’t want to do that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Could be a loose solder/connection inside the housing. A good plastic knife and some plastic weld and 2-3 hours and you could have fixed it. But then again, most people don’t want to do that lol.

I may pop it in the oven one evening when my wife isn't home and heat it up enough to pull apart to see what the problem was, but I can't risk taking the truck off the road for that sort of repair attempt without a replacement to hand.

-K

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I may pop it in the oven one evening when my wife isn't home and heat it up enough to pull apart to see what the problem was, but I can't risk taking the truck off the road for that sort of repair attempt without a replacement to hand.

-K

You can not bake open the oem 13+ tails. They are not put together like headlights.

The only way to open them is to cut the back plastic housing on the backside of the taillight right along the line where it meets the red outer lens with a hot plastic knife and then you have to “plastic weld” the 2 pieces back together. Not very hard to do, it’s what RetroShop does with all of their taillights.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You can not bake open the oem 13+ tails. They are not put together like headlights.

The only way to open them is to cut the back plastic housing on the backside of the taillight right along the line where it meets the red outer lens with a hot plastic knife and then you have to “plastic weld” the 2 pieces back together. Not very hard to do, it’s what RetroShop does with all of their taillights.

Good to know. I hadn't looked real closely, but it looked like there was sealant in between the two pieces when I had it out. There were also 4 screws, which would make sense to me for a sealant setup, but not really for a sonic welded setup. Unless they are just solvent welded together...

Anyhoot, since I've ordered a replacement I'm going to ask an admin to close this "wanted" thread.

When I get around to attempting to open/repair it I'll post over in the DIY or Lighting forums.

@MADDOG Can you close this thread please?

-K

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I got a like new OEM pair I will sell you for a fair price. PM me if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.