4th Gen Rear Diff Fluid Discrepancy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Have you heard of 4.5 quarts on the rear diff of a 2wd ? ...

Don't know. I run only 4x4's up here in snow country, and 2 of those were heavy duty, including my current truck. This one took about 4 and 1/4 quarts. It's a big sucker - biggest I've ever seen. AAM axle with 11.5 inch diameter ring gear. Bigger than Ford Superduty.

OP
OP
L

leafsby2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, for the help everyone only stuff I was able to get at Canadian Tire was Pennzoil GL-5 100% synthetic 75w140. Took 2 1/2 bottles. DD0157A5-7593-4EDD-9CD4-FE4FD915082E.png

Only reason I didn’t go with Redline and or Amsoil is didn’t want to wait a week for it to come in the mail, was planning on hooking up to the camper today and wanted to get it done and over with.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
All you'll be able to get into it,will be to fill it to the rubber plugs level in the rear cover. I don't think you'll be able to get 4.5 quarts into the diff though.
That's what I thought lol ... I will be changing my diff oil pretty soon , doing my oil change tomorrow when the RP 20-820 filters get here ...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks, for the help everyone only stuff I was able to get at Canadian Tire was Pennzoil GL-5 100% synthetic 75w140. Took 2 1/2 bottles. View attachment 496755

Only reason I didn’t go with Redline and or Amsoil is didn’t want to wait a week for it to come in the mail, was planning on hooking up to the camper today and wanted to get it done and over with.
Where in Canada are you? Alot of speed shops carry Redline

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maritimes, ain’t crap around here in northern NS.
Order ahead of time for the next change :)

If you have a 1500 and are doing it yourself, you will need a big allen wrench/socket to pull the drain plug - which is in the lower right of the pumpkin (facing in from the rear of the truck, or ie. passenger side lol ) and a drain pan.
Might need a screwdriver or something to pull the rubber plug, but that's all you will need.

You could pull the rear cover but it isn't needed to just change fluid.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They had 4 75/90 and 3 75/85 left at JB Powercenter on Saturday, still had half of one on the shelf at home. Cheaper than Amazon. They had no 110 or 140.View attachment 496816
Mopac on 16th usually has a better stock pile of Redline then JB's does,but they aren't open on Sundays like JB's is.
JB's is also Amazon.ca's supplier,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mopac always has a much better selection. JB is much closer.
Ever since big Fino left JB's i don't go there as often,as i could always get a deal through him,now i'd rather deal with Bill at Mopac,but you're right JB's is closer to Airdrie. Supposedly Lordco carries Redline,but i've never dealt with them to check out their selection of Redline,and they're even farther away then Mopac

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild one have you ever used the shockproof?
If you're referring to this stuff,no i haven't as they reconmend it for racing diffs under moderate loads,and that kind of scares me a bit.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
To start off I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone, I am good friends with the salesman whom sold me the truck and he is great friends with the owner. I never get up sold or even try to, everyone at the dealership knows me etc.

I hit 100,000km and my rear diff fluid looks new and I wanted to change it, I went and purchased 75w140 as that’s what the manual states to use, I went over to visit the salesman (as he is a friend of ours) and my child poses for dealership pictures when the new owners don’t want to, it started as a joke and has taken off he asked if I called the dealer to check the price, I stated no because the dealer is always more expensive. He talked with the parts manager and they ran my vin, as per my vin my rear takes 75w90 and if my truck was in getting work done and they needed to add fluid it would be 75w90. So this got me to digging, the same owner owns a tirecraft (a tire shop that also does mechanic work) and has their own software for instructions on fluids, mechanical work, the time jobs should take and the amounts of fluids needed in all different makes and models. According to their system by inputting my make and model it tells them to use 75w90 and 2.2 litres.

Now I am confused, the manual calls for 75w140 but all other places I’ve contacted including the dealer call for 75w90 I don’t have the limited slip and just the “conventional rear end” 3.21 gears which fluid should I use? Or just leave it alone?

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Why can't you just believe the Ram manual that was written by the engineers that designed the vehicle?

JB Weld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running Valvoline 80w-90 without friction modifier in my '19 1500 Classic. But this is because I installed a Tru Trac differential. Works great in all temperatures and loads so far.