4th gen swap to 3rd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Breetz420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for some help on how to use a 4th gen hemi 5.7 in a 3rd gen, if I were to strip the 4th gen down to the block, would I be able to reuse the heads and pistons, and be able to start putting old parts on the 4th gen? Such as a 3rd gen water pump, or am I stuck using factory 4th gen accessory drive setup and struggling to put it in to my 3rd gen with things like electrical components? VVT would not be a concern as I would be getting a kit to delete it and MDS.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No you can't use your accessory drive on the newer engine. 3rd and 4th gen Ram accessory drives aren't even remotely similar for a reason. You can't even run an eagle on your PCM unless you intend to pull the crank and swap tone wheels. Doing that and locking out VVT is counter-productive and negates the very reason to bother with a VVT engine over a non-VVT engine. You'd be ahead of the game just building up a pre-eagle that would drop right in and could be run on your PCM. If you want to run an eagle in your 08, find the accessory drive (and maybe PCM) for a 2009 2500 (3rd gen body with a 4th gen engine) and get an adapter harness made in order to run the 4th gen PCM and engine in your truck.

Last edited: