4th gen vs 5th gen accelerator response mystery!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djmjr77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Fam,

Does anybody know if Ram changed the accelerator response sensitivity between the 4th amd 5th gen Ram 1500's?
The reason I ask is , I just traded in my 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel(junk :p) for a 2018 Ram 1500 limited (Hemi this time, 64k miles). I test drove the truck amd it obviously felt WAY more powerful than the ecodiesel. They gave me a 2022 1500 for a loaner while they were certifying the 2018 and the 2022 just felt way more responsive and peppy than the 2018. When I got the 2018 I found the gear limit (turn off MDS) made a night and day difference, but still not as peppy as the 2022. I just dropped the 2018 off today for them to fix the crappy front brakes they tried to stick me with, and they gave me another 2022 1500 loaner. This truck again just feels way more peppy even they they have the same engine and specs.
My 2018 is a crew cab 4x4 where these 2022 loaners are extended cab 2x4s.
Do you think this difference is the 4x4, weight, efan vs clutch differences (doesn't seem to hold up with my knowledge of auto mechanics, due to the drastic difference to me driving two di$rremt 2022s) or is it something else??
My first thought is maybe the newer Rams have a "better" accelerator pedal, as if they knew everyone is putting pedal commanders on their trucks.. lol .. but could it be something else?

What are everyone's thoughts or is it just that my butt dyno is out of calibration:)

Thanks inm advance!!

OP
OP
D

djmjr77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I dont think it was an eTorque motor, no badging anywhere.
I seriously doubt mileage has anything to do with it.. maybe if my truck wasn't well maintained.. but it looks pretty clean.. only engine light before I bought it was due to fuel cap problem.. I got to drive it before their techs got their hands on it.
I guess the gear ratio could be a good reason.. should have thought of that.thar.. it was 2wd and mine is 4wd with the anti spin rear diff option added..
My previous Ram had the ecodiesel.. so there would be no comparison to the Hemi drive and feel.. the three Hemis 2x 2022 and the 2018 are my only experience with the Hemi platform

I'll pull the VIN on the loaner I have and see what gear ratio it has.. it is probably different just due to the trim level differences.. if the gears are the reason, that would be enlightening to me
Thanks very much for the suggestions!! Have a great weekend!!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Feel" is not a standard unit of measure. There are way too many variables to get an accurate answer on an interweb forum.

But to further confuse the issue; my 2014 Jeep Wrangler (which is just a funny looking Dodge truck) has the Pentastar engine, like some 1500s do. Anyway, my Wrangler has the adaptive accelerator petal. I can turn the key on,not start up the Wrangler, and hold the gas petal to the floor for several seconds, which fools the computer into thinking that I'm driving very aggressively, and it increases petal sensitivity. But I don't drive aggressively. Yet I like the sensitive petal. So I do the "gas petal trick" quite often. It's like having a cheap Petal Commander that doesn't last.

Maybe that what's going on with the loaner vehicles. Because everyone knows how loaners get beat on.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I dont think it was an eTorque motor, no badging anywhere.
I seriously doubt mileage has anything to do with it.. maybe if my truck wasn't well maintained.. but it looks pretty clean.. only engine light before I bought it was due to fuel cap problem.. I got to drive it before their techs got their hands on it.
I guess the gear ratio could be a good reason.. should have thought of that.thar.. it was 2wd and mine is 4wd with the anti spin rear diff option added..
My previous Ram had the ecodiesel.. so there would be no comparison to the Hemi drive and feel.. the three Hemis 2x 2022 and the 2018 are my only experience with the Hemi platform

I'll pull the VIN on the loaner I have and see what gear ratio it has.. it is probably different just due to the trim level differences.. if the gears are the reason, that would be enlightening to me
Thanks very much for the suggestions!! Have a great weekend!!
The 2022's will have the 8HP75 transmission,and it has a differant gear ratio spread then your 2018 with the 8HP70 has,even if all the trucks you tested had the same rear gears,the new ones with the 8HP75 transmission will seem peppier

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The 2022's will have the 8HP75 transmission,and it has a differant gear ratio spread then your 2018 with the 8HP70 has,even if all the trucks you tested had the same rear gears,the new ones with the 8HP75 transmission will seem peppier

Interesting! I thought only the 2500's had the 8HP75

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Good stuff on teh 8HP75, I wonder if it handles more HP?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good stuff on teh 8HP75, I wonder if it handles more HP?
The last 2 digits of the HP's numbers designate it's torque capacity in newton meters, ie: the 70 = 700 newton /meters which is 516 lb-ft of torque holding capacity , the 75 is 750 newton/meters which is 553 lb-ft , the 90 is 900 newton/meters which is 664 lb-ft , the 95 is 950 newton/meters which is 701 lb-ft. Those are the 8 speeds continous torque ratings,they'll handle more for short periods of time , ie:like a 1/4 mile pass at the track

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
My guess would be weight... Aren't the 5th gens lighter? They removed quite a bit from the frame weight wise while making it stronger plus they have the plastic upper LCAs. 300lbs removed would be worth 30hp feel difference.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio