4th gen vs 5th gen differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Besides some sheet metal differences what are really the changes made to the generations on the 2500? A little different interior and slight changes here and there but are there really major differences in the two? The eight speed is all I can see between the drivetrains.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is my first RAM truck, and I never even looked at any other RAM's close up, besides this one. Love the Look, the Ride, the POWER, and everything about this RAM Truck! Beats the tar out of the last three FORDS I had, including the F250 Diesel.... GEN 4, GEN 5, even GenX, don't matter to me.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The frame is all new.

Cabs, doors and beds are the same.

The obvious fenders bumpers and tailgate changes.

Why most call it the 4.5 Gen. It is not the complete new generation as the designation stayed the same also. The HD is still designated DJ. the 1500 went from DS to DT.

Engines are the same...obvious 8 spd transmission change.

Last edited:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
4th gen had a Torsten style rear diff. 5th has a clutch style LSD.... so long as you checked that option box in the 2500.

The 6.7 Cummins is all new. Block, hyd lifters, cp4. There is no more stick shift.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
4th gen had a Torsten style rear diff. 5th has a clutch style LSD.... so long as you checked that option box in the 2500.

The 6.7 Cummins is all new. Block, hyd lifters, cp4. There is no more stick shift.
Interesting and a bit off topic (on my part). I was just about to schedule my power wagon in for a shuddering when I turn when I read this. Didn't know they went to a clutch style LS. Found this in the manual:

"Limited-Slip Differentials DO REQUIRE limited slip oil additive (friction modifiers). NOTE: Slight noise and mild shuddering may be evident while turning a vehicle with limited slip differential on concrete or dry pavement. These conditions should be considered normal operation of the limited slip differential."

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Biggest difference is the 8 speed!!!!

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Big difference between my '17 3500 and the new 2020 3500 is no more turbo lag.
Once I got use to it, it didn't bother me on the '17.
First drive of the 2020 and about did a burn out out of the dealers parking lot.