Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4th or 5th gen Rebel. Help me decide

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Rebel Forum' started by TheMarco, Mar 29, 2021.

1. TheMarco

TheMarco Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Hi all,

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a gently used Ram Rebel (35k miles or so at the most). I know I want a Rebel but I can't decide whether to get a 2017/2018 or a 2019/2020.

It's a really hard choice for me. I can't even decide which one of the two I like better in terms of looks. Both are awesome looking and I know both are very capable trucks in all aspects.

Is the newest model worth the 4-7k extra I'll have to pay for it or should I just keep that money in my pocket and go for the previous generation?

I'm also wondering whether the double cab is reasonably sized or way too small. I have two kids who will be in boosters (not baby seats) and an 11y old. A double cab brings the newest gen Rebel closer to the 4th gen in terms of price.

Choices, Choices.

Thoughts welcome!

2. blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Either gens crew cab would be plenty of room for the kids. The new gen is a tad bigger tho. I have a ‘17 and love it but the new gen interior is def nicer than mine and mines really nice in my opinion. Another thing to consider is so you want the air suspension or not? The 4th gen rebels only came with air suspension while its a option on the 5th gen rebels so you can choose air suspension or regular suspension with them.

3. Hot94Z28

Hot94Z28 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I really like my 5th gen Rebel. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jessie_m

jessie_m Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I'd also give the warlocks a look. The rebels are sweet though, would likely look to do a 5th gen w/o air ride if currently in the market. Bad time to buy around here; inventory is down and prices are up. Good luck

5. SOL-man

SOL-man Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    Definitely get the Crew Cab with your children (in the blink of an eye, they will grow big) and I would recommend the leather seats available in the Rebel. It's easier to wipe up spilled food and drinks off of leather compared to cloth. There is no comparison when it comes to the design of the interior - 5th Gen wins easily there, though the ride quality is the same.

6. Plankton

Plankton Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    The only thing I wish my '17 had is a locking diff. Other than that it's a beast. The 5th gens have the locker and they have a snazzier interior with the 12" screens.

[​IMG]

7. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    5th gen you get lockers and skids, assuming you'll be getting that truck dirty :)