4th or 5th gen Rebel. Help me decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a gently used Ram Rebel (35k miles or so at the most). I know I want a Rebel but I can't decide whether to get a 2017/2018 or a 2019/2020.

It's a really hard choice for me. I can't even decide which one of the two I like better in terms of looks. Both are awesome looking and I know both are very capable trucks in all aspects.

Is the newest model worth the 4-7k extra I'll have to pay for it or should I just keep that money in my pocket and go for the previous generation?

I'm also wondering whether the double cab is reasonably sized or way too small. I have two kids who will be in boosters (not baby seats) and an 11y old. A double cab brings the newest gen Rebel closer to the 4th gen in terms of price.

Choices, Choices.

Thoughts welcome!

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Either gens crew cab would be plenty of room for the kids. The new gen is a tad bigger tho. I have a ‘17 and love it but the new gen interior is def nicer than mine and mines really nice in my opinion. Another thing to consider is so you want the air suspension or not? The 4th gen rebels only came with air suspension while its a option on the 5th gen rebels so you can choose air suspension or regular suspension with them.

jessie_m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd also give the warlocks a look. The rebels are sweet though, would likely look to do a 5th gen w/o air ride if currently in the market. Bad time to buy around here; inventory is down and prices are up. Good luck

SOL-man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Definitely get the Crew Cab with your children (in the blink of an eye, they will grow big) and I would recommend the leather seats available in the Rebel. It's easier to wipe up spilled food and drinks off of leather compared to cloth. There is no comparison when it comes to the design of the interior - 5th Gen wins easily there, though the ride quality is the same.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only thing I wish my '17 had is a locking diff. Other than that it's a beast. The 5th gens have the locker and they have a snazzier interior with the 12" screens.

sage-editor%2F1537540332250-rebel12overallinterior.jpg

Keyonthagod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would definitely go with the 5th Gen. The interior is very appealing and you won't regret it 3 to 4 years from now. That additional expense will ensure that you are riding in the latest body style for the stretch or your loan. Get the 12" display also. It will cost 4K to add it on later and the dealer won't do it. You will likely have to go through a third party.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Don't get me wrong, I love my 4th gen but man the interior is nice in a 5th gen! For a few extra bucks, I'd probably go 5th gen crew cab.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If you're buying in today's market "available" may be the biggest factor...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ive owned 3 4th gens, next would be a 5th gen, interior...

and Crew Cab, you'll regret double cab

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5th Gen hands down. At first I didn't like the 5th Gen, but man the 5th Gen Rebel looks great and the interior is so much better. But it's your truck and you will be living with it. Good luck.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All depends what you value most personally. I definitely prefer the exterior styling of the 4th gen Ram's, but the 5th gens are just so damn nice inside. I have a '21 Rebel and for me the interior quality outweighs not loving the exterior quite as much as the 4th gen. If you go with a 4th, I feel like there is a strong chance it will start feeling dated as soon as a couple years from now, whereas the 5th gen will feel nice and modern for the next decade. End of the day its all personal preference and what you want to spend for it.

Oh, and definitely get a crew cab with kids. The quad will be a tight squeeze especially as they grow. My old '16 Ram was a quad and now that I have a crew on my '21 Rebel I will never go back.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I like the outside of new more than old ones. Not sure about inside, as I'm still waiting to actually get the truck.

70x7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As a previous owner of a 2017 Rebel and now a current owner of a 2019, I would say go with the 5th gen. The 4th is awesome and some days I miss it, but the 5th gen is taller, rides smoother, has more upgrades....

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the 2020 Rebel...traded my 2016 Sport and never looked back. Love the interior and the 12"/HK system is AWESOME! I had the 8.4 and Alpine system before and the difference is stunning.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd also give the warlocks a look. The rebels are sweet though, would likely look to do a 5th gen w/o air ride if currently in the market. Bad time to buy around here; inventory is down and prices are up. Good luck
There is a large similarity between the Warlock and the Rebel, same hood, same grill. I believe they come standard with different design wheel, at least on the newer ones, and in the front, the chin spoiler (for lack of a better term) is different on the Warlock. Different design and different color.

Jcooper427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a large similarity between the Warlock and the Rebel, same hood, same grill. I believe they come standard with different design wheel, at least on the newer ones, and in the front, the chin spoiler (for lack of a better term) is different on the Warlock. Different design and different color.
The warlock has a totally different hood then the rebel. The warlock looks
Like the old style sport hood on the rams. The 19 and newer rebels have a hood used only in the rebel.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The warlock has a totally different hood then the rebel. The warlock looks
Like the old style sport hood on the rams. The 19 and newer rebels have a hood used only in the rebel.
The current one, yes. But the "sport hood" option that is available on the Warlock looks eerily similar to the 4th Gen Rebel hood pics I have seen.

Did they do the same thing then? Have a special hood just on the Rebels, or was it a stock hood unless you special ordered the "sport"?

4Lo4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
I'm actually looking for a used Rebel Crew cab, with 2 growing boys, my JKU is getting smaller lol. Been looking at '17s and '18s currently. Not many '19s right now, thinking may need a few more months for those '19s to get traded in for the new '22s??