4WD bad at turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dehdlee Duo

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
I love that, this makes me feel like inspired to do more with the outdoors, I have had a youtube channel about this stuff but I think I need to do more with it. I want to be a full time youtuber, that is part of a dream I have so this is way cool that you do that.

I live in Idaho and we have some narley trails and love to explore expecially in my truck. I need to just find more people to go with. I would do it in a heartbeat if I had more friends out here.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I love that, this makes me feel like inspired to do more with the outdoors, I have had a youtube channel about this stuff but I think I need to do more with it. I want to be a full time youtuber, that is part of a dream I have so this is way cool that you do that.

I live in Idaho and we have some narley trails and love to explore expecially in my truck. I need to just find more people to go with. I would do it in a heartbeat if I had more friends out here.
I can not access my SD card to find the more interesting trails. There is nothing greater than RAM trucks doing there thing in the wilderness.

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Hey all Wanted to get some input on a 4wd issue I have with my truck, I might need to take it to a shop to see if this is an issue but would like to get some answers first.

When in 4WD High or low, not worried about low since it is meant for crawling, the truck has no truning radius at all, if I turn it ever so slightly it will feel like binding up and as soon as I get straight it will not have the problem.

I use High 4wd in only two instances on hard surfaces; One when I'm driving on snow and/or ice, and two when I'm above 20 mph on a slippery but hard surface, while towing, generally going uphill, and can't lose control of the vehicle behind me because of my truck losing traction. Once traction is assured I go quickly back to Low 4WD and if the surface flattens right back into 2WD. I'll know when the need to return to 4WD low or 2WD when turning if it begins to do the steering wheel wiggle. That's normal but indicates a need to change out of High 4wD

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L

I've always said, volunteer or go to church, if your family doesn't supply enough members that enjoy what you're doing. There's always plenty of guys/gals who'd love to give you a Saturday outing to see if you all enjoy each others company

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with everything that has been said bout the turning....I wouldn't call it binding but I guess that is what's actually happening...I forgot about that aspect due to not using it in forevrr...however after hurricane Ian ran over us I had a couple giant oak trees down and ready for cleanup...sawed them all up down to a stump and proceeded to yank them out...upon turning in the yard ...there it was and instantly remembered.....as another Saud it's just not the same as 2wheel...but I do think it's totally normal for this harder steering condition.

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey all Wanted to get some input on a 4wd issue I have with my truck, I might need to take it to a shop to see if this is an issue but would like to get some answers first.

When in 4wd High or low, not worried about low since it is meant for crawling, the truck has no truning radius at all, if I turn it ever so slightly it will feel like binding up and as soon as I get straight it will not have the problem. I sit up 3 inch lift with 285 75 16's so they are a little wider than stock but not sure what would be the issue on this. I just feel like it has a wide track and it being a long bed maybe it is not meant for turning in 4WD. I am not sure. Let me know I would like to see if I can make it a little better.

Thank you in advance.
So, when turning does it do it on the gravel or just on asphalt or concrete. Have you ever checked to see when turning if you're rubbing anywhere

Mercruth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
I have a 2001, just redid the entire front end (CV's, Brakes, Upper and Lower BJ's and new steering out of 2009/10 conversion to get rid of the Y rack slop) and yes, it will bind up in 4 on dry or high grip situations. Before I replaced the joints on the axles they used to bind even worse and Jump up and down due to the u joints being stiff and needing replaced. If your getting the up and down jump, you may need new CV u joints.

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

When in 4wd High or low, not worried about low since it is meant for crawling, the truck has no truning radius at all, if I turn it ever so slightly it will feel like binding up and as soon as I get straight it will not have the problem. I sit up 3 inch lift with 285 75 16's so they are a little wider than stock but not sure what would be the issue on this. I just feel like it has a wide track and it being a long bed maybe it is not meant for turning in 4WD. I am not sure. Let me know I would like to see if I can make it a little better.

Thank you in advance.
How often do you use your 4 wd drive. That front differential is like the back one it has clutches in it. If they get dry that will happen. Another thing is it on dry pavement or wet. They all seem to pull on dry pavement. If you don't use your 4wdrive much try dropping the oil and replacing with 1 quart of Lucas and finish with 75x90 I use Amsoil in the 2 differentials and it seemed to help greatly for the noise. But you need to lube. The front differential at least once a month on a wet day. Just a suggesting