4WD engages, but front axle doesn't lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mgreen529

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
All,
I have a 2007 1500 4.7 6 speed with a NV243 transfer case. Here is my problem, When the TC shifts I hear it go into 4WD, and I have verified this by trying to rotate the front drive shaft, it does not spin by hand when in 4wd. It does not matter if I shift to 4wd lock or 4wd low, the TC is in the correct 4WD range, and the 4WD range light continues to blink . My front axle actuator does not engage though, I have tried 2 different actuators and neither one will work. I have also checked the wiring on the actuator and have battery voltage on one wire to ground. When I drive the truck while in 4WD low it is in low range so the TC is shifting, but it seems like the truck does not think the TC shifted. I also tried to reset the TIMP by shorting the battery terminals together overnight and that did not help. I also disconnected the TC shift motor and the SERV 4WD light did come on. In June the previous owner had the truck at the dealership and they changed the front axle actuator, so I think it is a problem with the shift motor or the dash switch. Where do you guys think I need to start, or does anyone have a trouble shooting guide for the 4WD systems.

Thanks

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Question: do the front wheels actually engage (did you verify the front wheels do not a pull in 4wd) or are you judging by the blinking light that it's not engaged

OP
OP
Mgreen529

Mgreen529

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
No the front wheels do not engage, just the TC does. I have verifyied this with trying to slip the tires on loose gravel(just the rear tires break loose), and raising the truck and putting it in gear, and the front tires do not rotate.

Brander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pull your codes and make sure you dont have a wheel speed sensor bad. if there is code for no or intermittent signal from the wheel sensor the front actuator will not engage. mine also locked out the cruse control
2008 1500

OP
OP
Mgreen529

Mgreen529

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ok I will try that. Can you pull codes without a code reader? Could it be that the transfercase is shifting but not far enough for the sensor to know it is engaged?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok I will try that. Can you pull codes without a code reader? Could it be that the transfercase is shifting but not far enough for the sensor to know it is engaged?

Google dodge key dance

OP
OP
Mgreen529

Mgreen529

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have done the key dance and no codes are present. I am thinking of taking the shift motor off and just checking it. It is about the only thing left.

OP
OP
Mgreen529

Mgreen529

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Took off the shift motor and noticed the new one said that the motor was shipped in the 4wd hi position, well the motor position and my tcase hi position do not match up. The motor shows 4wd hi, but if I match the tcase that is 2 hi. Could the shift fork be off or an adjustment needed?