4wd noise on a 2wd truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwcw051910

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been through the "noise" posts and I may have missed it somewhere but didn't see one similar. '09 1500 2wd with non-aggressive all terrains on rear. Lately I've been having a sound like I've got knobby tires at highway speeds. It does get louder at higher speeds. Also when it's in a turn, the sound gets louder and tones down to the original noise when I straighten back up. No clunking or popping noise at all. Does this sound like wheel bearings or rear end?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wheel bearings are the first thing I would check.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Does the sound change if you put it into 4wd? I've seen some trucks when the splines on the inner Cv axles start to go they grind. When they go it sounds just like a bearing. If they are going and you put it into 4x4 the sound usually goes away or gets very quiet. I'd check bearings and inner Cv axle, grab em and give em a good wiggle.
Hope this helps.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
it does sound like wheel bearings

Does the sound change if you put it into 4wd?
Well there's a problem, he can't put it in 4WD...

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you have a jack, you can get the tires off the ground and see if they have any play in them. Or just send it to a tire shop. I thought i had the same issue. Had the tire shop check the bearing and a small point inspection and everything was good. Couple months down the road my dad was riding with me and heard the noise and said my rear end was going out. Had a mechanic drive and listen, before we got out of his drive way he said the rear end bearings are out. I have '12 with 120k. Your '09 may be ready for a rear end or possibly wheel bearings. Just curious can you hear the noise on dirt roads? That will eliminate the tires if the noise is still there. But if the tune of the noise changes while taking curves i bet its wheel bearings. Ive had those before too. Thought it was tires because they were knobby mud tires but it was the bearings.