4x4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VWiggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone. Just a quick question. My ‘18 Ram 1500 has only two 4x4 selections: 4x4 low and 4x4 lock. Am I safe to use any of these while driving to work with a lot of snow on the ground?

Edit: I would be driving about 30-40 mph.

Last edited:

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4x4 Lock can be used as long as the road is snow covered. That transfer case is the part time one that has no Auto or AWD setting. I have the same one and just go in and out of Lock as needed when we have snow.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Like cbsmith said, 4x4 Lock is the ticket, but I wouldn't use 4x4 Low while driving on city streets. That's mainly used off road or when you need to crawl out of a ditch (which I guess is technically still off road...).

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4x4 low would be hilarious fun on streets but a terrible idea. 4x4 lock can be used but not ideal on the streets unless there is compromised traction as the front and rear locked which makes turning a bit of a hassle as it binds the transfer case. If there is snow on the road then it is considered ok, but if you can see pavement you should be in 2wd.

Tires are the key!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have the good transfer case so not a lot to worry about when putting the thing in 4x4. 4wd lock is basically 4Hi in other applications, as it's said, don't use that mode if the road is dry, rain doesn't qualify either, you can use it in dirt, sand,snow,ice etc, 4lo is usefull when you have to drive in a very steep uphill/downhill, or whenever you need that extra torque to navigate the terrain, could be mud, heavy snow, deep soft sand etc, you'll should try 4lo to get familiar with how the truck feels and respond to it, so you'll know when to use it.