5.2 Hard Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
So I did a tune-up on my Ram 5.2 about 3 weeks ago (plugs, wires, cap, and rotor) When the truck is cold, it fires right up. But when its warm, it has a hard time starting. I've found that if i turn the key to start and pump the gas, it starts a little better but it still has a noticeably hard time starting. Any ideas??

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Has it done that since the tune up, wonder if the cap is advanced or ******** some?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
When you say hard starting, what exactly are you talking about? Does it roll over slowly or does it roll over normally, but at an extended perios of time then fire right up? Were the symptoms there before the tune up?

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
It did it before the tune-up, thats why i did the tune-up...thinking it would stop doin it. It cranks normally, it just takes an extended period of time to start. it runs fine when its runnin though..

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Idt its the starter. I hope not lol it seems to work fine. its almost like its not gettin enough fuel...? i was thinkin maybe the fuel filter but im not too sure thats why i posted on here haha

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As far as I know, the only filter on these trucks is the strainer in the tank

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
yeah, its at the top by the pump. idk if thats it though. Id like to find out the problem though, its not a major big deal. I thought the tune-up would solve it but i guess not. It doesnt affect the way it runs. I mean once its runnin, it runs great without a problem so idk...

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
while its hot and giving you probs, have someone tap the starter with a small hammer....

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Wonder if an injector or 2 are leaking down? If its turning over normal but seems like your lacking fuel ya could be getting air into the system that has to be purged out each time you start it. When its warm it could almost be doing something sim to a vapor lock.

2000ramhawaii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 v6
i had a similar issue, turned uot to be the feul regulatror, would not hold pressure in the lines after the fuel pump shut off, no visible leaks because it would just drain back into the tank. before starting, turn the key on off 2-3 times to the on position, you will hear the fuel pump kick on. let the fuel pump prime the lines and then try and start it. if it fires right up you have a leak. if you have a tester, the fuel lines should hold 45-50 psi when the engine is not running.

the regulator is on the fuel pump in the tank. the regulator was $200 and a all new pump was $280 so i replaced the whole assemly as long as i had the tank pulled.

2001ram1500_Sturg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had this same issue for over a year. I have tried many different avenues to solve it except for dropping the tank and replacing the fuel regulator/pump. Great idea. I will report back my results.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Great info guys, OP have you solved your issue?

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I have had this same issue for over a year. I have tried many different avenues to solve it except for dropping the tank and replacing the fuel regulator/pump. Great idea. I will report back my results.
Thatd be great if you could do that. Id love to get mine fixed. I also noticed that if I run it, then turn it off and then turn it back on again within about 10 mins of it bein off itll start up without a problem. I fit sits longer it gives me a hard time. Weird....

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thatd be great if you could do that. Id love to get mine fixed. I also noticed that if I run it, then turn it off and then turn it back on again within about 10 mins of it bein off itll start up without a problem. I fit sits longer it gives me a hard time. Weird....

My old subaru did the exact same thing your truck is doing. Was an electrical problem. Needed coil and tps. Dunno what the problem was but that was the cure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
My old subaru did the exact same thing your truck is doing. Was an electrical problem. Needed coil and tps. Dunno what the problem was but that was the cure

You know, this thing might need a TPS too actually. Sometimes when I first start it it gets a rough idle, as if its got a rough idle cam or something lol and in the winter when its warmin up, itll rev up a little bit on its own. I might try doin the TPS and see what that does to the problem...

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know, this thing might need a TPS too actually. Sometimes when I first start it it gets a rough idle, as if its got a rough idle cam or something lol and in the winter when its warmin up, itll rev up a little bit on its own. I might try doin the TPS and see what that does to the problem...

Could also just be a tad out of adjustment. Don't spend the money if you don't gotta

2000ramhawaii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 v6
the regulator has a check valve in it that is supposed to hold the fuel pressure in the lines when the pump is not running. before you jump in and replace parts, it is very easy to diagnose, if you have a fuel pressure tester, put it on and run the truck, running it should have around 50 psi, shut the truck down and check the pressure, it should hold at 40-50 psi. if it is still good, wait 20 min and look again in case it is a slow leak. with mine it lost pressure immidiatly after i shut it off. i f you dont have a pressure tester, you can prime the lines by cycling the pump before you start. turn the key to the on position, you will hear the pump running, when it stops, turn the key back off, then to on again and repeat 2-3 times then start it. if it fires right up... bingo! you found it.

take a little time to troubleshoot it before you drop the tank.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
the regulator has a check valve in it that is supposed to hold the fuel pressure in the lines when the pump is not running. before you jump in and replace parts, it is very easy to diagnose, if you have a fuel pressure tester, put it on and run the truck, running it should have around 50 psi, shut the truck down and check the pressure, it should hold at 40-50 psi. if it is still good, wait 20 min and look again in case it is a slow leak. with mine it lost pressure immidiatly after i shut it off. i f you dont have a pressure tester, you can prime the lines by cycling the pump before you start. turn the key to the on position, you will hear the pump running, when it stops, turn the key back off, then to on again and repeat 2-3 times then start it. if it fires right up... bingo! you found it.

I never thought about tryin that honestly..tomorrow if I go out ill have to try it and see how it works and ill let you know what happens. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum

Well Joel, I have good news and somewhat bad news... Good news first - BINGO! I found out that thats the problem, its starts up reall easy when i prime it like you said. Bad news is Im not to sure how to fix it haha