5.2 Hard Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000ramhawaii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 v6
easy fix, just takes a little time and $$$. you can replace the regulator by itself, it is attached to the fuel pump and sender unit, i replaced the entire unit pump/sender/regulator figure the pump is 11 years old may as well as long as i was at it. with an empty tank, remove the tank, if i remember correctly you have to partialy lower the tank to remove the hoses and electrical leads before you completely drop the tank. once it is out, the pump assembly is secured by a large lock ring on the top (was a pain to remove penatrating oil and strap wrench) take note of the orientation of the exsisting pump and make sure you install it back the same way. if you don't have a chiltons pick one up its all outlined in in it. if i remember correctly the only special tool needed is a fuel line disconnect tool that will cost you about $5. hope this helps. it is a very simple fix although the parts if you replace the entire unit will *** you around $300.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
easy fix, just takes a little time and $$$. you can replace the regulator by itself, it is attached to the fuel pump and sender unit, i replaced the entire unit pump/sender/regulator figure the pump is 11 years old may as well as long as i was at it. with an empty tank, remove the tank, if i remember correctly you have to partialy lower the tank to remove the hoses and electrical leads before you completely drop the tank. once it is out, the pump assembly is secured by a large lock ring on the top (was a pain to remove penatrating oil and strap wrench) take note of the orientation of the exsisting pump and make sure you install it back the same way. if you don't have a chiltons pick one up its all outlined in in it. if i remember correctly the only special tool needed is a fuel line disconnect tool that will cost you about $5. hope this helps. it is a very simple fix although the parts if you replace the entire unit will *** you around $300.
I think this will def help, thanks! I already have the Haynes manual, which is very good to have..comes in handy. Idk if ill replace everything or what yet. I caqnt really do it here at my house, i mean I have most of the tools just not the room or area to work on it lol but I can bring it to my shop class in school one day and we have all the tools i would need, plus the lifts and all that. Im also thinkin about rebuildin my motor for my senior project with a buddy of mine so idk. Ill have to put some thought into it and figure out what im gonna replace exactly and go from there. Thanks so much though, I think this really helped me alot!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Glad ya found the culprit. The archive manual is in the diy section too if you want the texts reference. Good luck let us know how it works out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2000ramhawaii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 v6
glad i could help, i spun my wheels on that one too before i found the problem. :waytogo:

it's not always a failing sensor :mf_pcwhack:

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
lol yeah, i know what you mean. and I did see that manual in th DIY section, that would also come in handy too. Thanks so much guys! :)

Eric Burdine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.2 it's hard to start when warm I did a full tune up and my starter has been replaced it turns over fine I replaced the fuel pump once it starts it smells of raw fuel im lost if anyone has found the problem let me know by the way when the truck starts it runs and drives great