5.2 to 5.9 engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Learning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
My ole girl finally either threw a rod bearing or broke the crank, was watching the harmonic balancer move up and down, so needles to say after 400,000 miles she gave up on me, btw she is a 99 ram 1500 4x4, so I purchased a 2000 ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 for a donor motor while iIrebuild the original, my question is, is there a difference in the wiring harness everything I read said the flex plate no biggie but the injectors on the 5.9 are different than the 5.2 obviously and the wiring harness is different so do I need to swap wiring harness also or just injector plug ends, I'm gonna use the 5.9 ecm so I don't have to flash my original just Google isn't very helpful

Thanks in advance

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
For starters, is the engine banging or just take balancer wobbling?

As for your differences, they're entirely year based. Injectors are no different between a 5.2 or 5.9.... If they're the same year. In 2000 they changed from the fat black to the skinny red. This included the harness differences.

Using the 5.9 pcm means you'll have to change the governor sensor in the trans. They changed that in the 2000 model year as well

OP
OP
L

Learning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Knocking on the left side of oil pan and harmonic balancer liftand fall, Chrysler did have a problem with breaking cranks in the journals, but I got the whole donor truck the tranny is junk but I have 3 tranny's tranny is the same tranny for both trucks....so wiring harness will plug and play with donor 5.9

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Chrysler never had a problem with breaking cranks, least not on these platforms.

If you swap injectors over yeah it'll plug and play. I would do the whole manifold though and do the plenum while everything is out and easy to get to.

Trans is the same yes but some of the electrical components are not. Governor sensor will need changed to work with the 5.9 pcm

OP
OP
L

Learning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Injectors shouldn't be the same due to fuel consumption, if I just put the 5.2 injectors in the engine would run lean 5.9 needs more fuel

OP
OP
L

Learning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Ok will give it a try and let u know thanks for the help

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
OH YES THEY DID! I went thru it with my truck in ‘01. The front snout of the crank was snapping.
Literally a one in a million issue. If it's doing that there's an outlying issue. Crank walk due to a balance issue comes to mind

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not one in a million, the ‘99s had a lot of issues with the cranks, trucks, vans, dakotas & Durango. Hell I knew of 3 that had long blocks put in because of snapped cranks.
Dodge ended up saying it was casting flaw.
Remember you were in diapers when these trucks were new. Not everything made it to reports or websites like it has 20 years later.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
LOL id like to see the numbers on this. Literally the first time this claim has been made in the 7 years I've been involved in the platform that I've seen and ive dealt with thousands of owners and none of the dozen+ forums mention a lick of anything. I love the diaper comment, everybody goes straight for my age and just gets their feelings hurt.

I know of at least a dozen 99 Dakotas running 350-400+ to the wheels and all on factory bottom end. If 99 has such a casting issue you would think it would show in these applications

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The diaper comment wasn’t bagging you because of your age, just the fact these trucks are as old & older than yourself.

My point is when these trucks were new there wasn’t all the forums as there are now documenting and talking about this or that, hell ‘99 wasnt much after the demise of dialup. Hell back then it was Pirate, CK5, & PavementSucks, & those were all new.

When mine snapped, there were 2 other trucks in service for long blocks. If it makes you feel better it was limited to the 318s. It wasn’t something as common as the belly pan gasket, but often enough this & a couple of others in the area kept a long block in parts.

OP
OP
L

Learning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I knew that chrylsler had an issue with breaking cranks, can't remember the members name who said they didn't but I'm new and didn't want to say anything, I ended up swapping wiring harness because in 99 both 5.2 and 5.9 had the same injector but they changed them in 2000 on the 5.9, I can't wait to open up my 5.2 to find out what it is, I know I'm gonna rebuild it and flash and chip it so I can get some more hours out of it and keep it as a back up motor thanks for all the imput

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I knew that chrylsler had an issue with breaking cranks, can't remember the members name who said they didn't but I'm new and didn't want to say anything, I ended up swapping wiring harness because in 99 both 5.2 and 5.9 had the same injector but they changed them in 2000 on the 5.9, I can't wait to open up my 5.2 to find out what it is, I know I'm gonna rebuild it and flash and chip it so I can get some more hours out of it and keep it as a back up motor thanks for all the imput
In 2000 both the 5.2 and 5.9 injectors changed to the red ones. For tuning look into FRP. Best on the market and can reprogram your 5.2 pcm for a 5.9 so you dont have to change trans sensors
The diaper comment wasn’t bagging you because of your age, just the fact these trucks are as old & older than yourself.

My point is when these trucks were new there wasn’t all the forums as there are now documenting and talking about this or that, hell ‘99 wasnt much after the demise of dialup. Hell back then it was Pirate, CK5, & PavementSucks, & those were all new.

When mine snapped, there were 2 other trucks in service for long blocks. If it makes you feel better it was limited to the 318s. It wasn’t something as common as the belly pan gasket, but often enough this & a couple of others in the area kept a long block in parts.
My apologies for the misunderstanding. I just laugh when similar comments are made because it's quite common. It's funny because not to be cocky but I'm pretty knowledgeable on the platform lol. Not an expert by any means but you get my drift. Usually some "good ole boy" whining about "you need backpressure" or "dodge has ****** transmissions because i cant run it for 100k through the mud without servicing it". Lol

Back on topic though I've perused pirate4x4 and pavementsucks quite a bit as well and havent seen anything on such an issue. First I've seen anything of the sort

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Jason sold PS.com and then message board was set to a different format about 10 yrs ago. Postings from before then are gone. The site was majority Ram guys, the site has been dead for years.

Do a search, one company owns a majority of message boards, like they have a monopoly.

Pirate is just pirate and I’m sure you know what I mean when I say that. I & quite a few of the PS members were banned from there.

Back to your age, I will say I had to double check your age as I thought you were older than what you were with you ability to ramble off the way you do on posts. Usually young people are typically know it alls, but you have the ability to back it up!

OP
OP
L

Learning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Ok so got the 5.9 swapped she is alive, but still need to swap govenor solinoid in the trans, do I use one for a 46re for my year or a 2000 model since I swapped everything ecm and harness and motor, trans is mine and is rebuilt, driving the truck rpms are up at 22-2500at 55 she isn't shifting into of so which solinoid do I get

OP
OP
L

Learning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I ordered a new governor solinoid for the year donor motor was a 2000 swapped motor and harness and ecm, installed the new governor solinoid in the tranny and new filter, and new speed sensor in the side of tranny, took her for a drive has great throttle response shifts great up to 3rd but still won't shift into OD she still running around 2500 rpms at 55 did I miss something or is there something else I need to change.....need her back and working correctly please help

OP
OP
L

Learning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
It's a new tranny, no codes coming from tranny could it be anything else