5.7 cam swap info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 ram we recently bought. It ticks pretty bad when fully warmed up. Already did headers and made sure no leaks. I am going to be doing cam and lifters very soon.

I have read alot about people swapping in a 6.4 cam and delete mds. Would that be better than the mmx no tune required cam? It's our daily driver so trying to do as little tuning as possible so it isn't down too long. I have hp tuners already and normally tuned gm's..
Also I've heard the Mopar performance springs will work and some had issues. If someone could give me a little guidance so this can go as smooth as possible. I really appreciate the help!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have HP tuner already just get the Cam package from Flying Ryan . He has a dedicated truck cam. thats the one I run.

The 6.4 Cam used to be a thing when it was dirt cheap. Now its the same price as a real cam.

I wouldn't touch a no tune cam with a 10ft pole. Why spend all that money for lackluster improvements... lol...

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you have HP tuner already just get the Cam package from Flying Ryan . He has a dedicated truck cam. thats the one I run.

The 6.4 Cam used to be a thing when it was dirt cheap. Now its the same price as a real cam.

I wouldn't touch a no tune cam with a 10ft pole. Why spend all that money for lackluster improvements... lol...
is his truck cam non vvt? all i saw on his site was.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You replacing a cam before any mis fire code? I would look into lubrication strategies first, unless you want a performance cam for another reason.

OP
OP
J

Josh1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You replacing a cam before any mis fire code? I would look into lubrication strategies first, unless you want a performance cam for another reason.
It's making quite a bit of noise. Already did headers and no exhaust leaks. When fully warm it ticks alot. I do auto repair for a living, not a big deal to change cam and lifters, already using redline oil and will continue. I don't have a problem putting back a stock non mds cam and lifters. I just figured I would step up and add a little bit of power while I'm in there. I'm not looking for 75-100 hp gain and spend weeks doing this. That's my reason for wanting to get say 6.4 cam.. I already have a 850hp suv. This is just a daily driver and we travel alot, need to make this thing reliable.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6.4 cam is a nice upgrade in power especially with a little valve work. You will need the mopar performance springs or equivalent.
Also, even if you are deleting MDS make sure you still buy the MDS lifters. I made that mistake and flattened a lobe at 36k miles.

OP
OP
J

Josh1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6.4 cam is a nice upgrade in power especially with a little valve work. You will need the mopar performance springs or equivalent.
Also, even if you are deleting MDS make sure you still buy the MDS lifters. I made that mistake and flattened a lobe at 36k miles.
Even with the non mds cam?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Even with the non mds cam?
If you're buying the SRT 6.4 manual transmission cam,it's a non-mds cam,and you don't want to use mds lifters on it,the automatic transmission 6.4 SRT cam still uses mds though,so if you're wanting a non-mds 6.4 cam,make sure you order the right 6.4 cam. The manual transmission 5.7 cam from the stick Challengers is also a non-mds cam,and is a bit more aggressive then the cam from the automatic transmission equipped 5.7's.

OP
OP
J

Josh1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're buying the SRT 6.4 manual transmission cam,it's a non-mds cam,and you don't want to use mds lifters on it,the automatic transmission 6.4 SRT cam still uses mds though,so if you're wanting a non-mds 6.4 cam,make sure you order the right 6.4 cam. The manual transmission 5.7 cam from the stick Challengers is also a non-mds cam,and is a bit more aggressive then the cam from the automatic transmission equipped 5.7's.
Yea I was wanting to do non mds for simplicity. Looking into the SRT 6.4 manual transmission cam. I believe I have a part number for that to confirm it's correct.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yea I was wanting to do non mds for simplicity. Looking into the SRT 6.4 manual transmission cam. I believe I have a part number for that to confirm it's correct.
If you're on a budget,i seem to remember the non-mds 5.7 cam being cheaper then the 6.4 non-mds cam,and it'd still give you a slight boost in power,especially at the bottem end of the rpm range,where you want some torque

OP
OP
J

Josh1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're on a budget,i seem to remember the non-mds 5.7 cam being cheaper then the 6.4 non-mds cam,and it'd still give you a slight boost in power,especially at the bottem end of the rpm range,where you want some torque
I am on a budget to a point, but I do plan on upgrading the oil pump, doing the timing chain, cam, lifters, springs, and pushrods. I'm more on a time constraint, that's why I'm trying to keep it simple for tuning.
Do you happen to have the part numbers on the two cams? I can compare the pricing between them. Thanks for your help!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am on a budget to a point, but I do plan on upgrading the oil pump, doing the timing chain, cam, lifters, springs, and pushrods. I'm more on a time constraint, that's why I'm trying to keep it simple for tuning.
Do you happen to have the part numbers on the two cams? I can compare the pricing between them. Thanks for your help!
Nope but Benny who's a vendor on here will have the part numbers,and he's usually the cheapest Mopar supplier.You can find him down in the Vendors section

OP
OP
J

Josh1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope but Benny who's a vendor on here will have the part numbers,and he's usually the cheapest Mopar supplier.You can find him down in the Vendors section
Great! I'll have a look around for him. Thank you for the info!

OP
OP
J

Josh1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you verify the springs I ordered are correct?
68277306AA

Do you know if I need shims or not to get the correct install height?
I ordered the 6.4 manual trans cam non mds as well as lifters and pushrods. Also changing oil pump and timing chain while I'm in there to be safe. Thank you all for the great help!

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that is the correct springs, you do not need to shim.