Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A compression test can be performed using a scan tool.
You still need a mechanical gauge screwed into a plug hole to do a compression test with a scan tool as far as i know.All the scan tool does is open the throttle blade to wide open,and gives you the ability to crank the engine over via the scan tool and give you a relative reading of which cylinder might be down.You can accomplish the same thing by using a screwdriver handle or some such tool to manually prop the throttle blade open,and pulling the starter relay and either using a remote starter switch or a piece of wire to jump the relay terminals. If you have a way of doing it with just a scan tool and no mechanical gauge in a plug hole,please clue us into how you're getting a psi number for each cylinder.I'm open to learning new ways of doing things,so i'd sure like to know how a scan tool can give a psi reading.You'll notice they still have to use a gauge to actually get a cylinder pressure reading,all they're actually doing is measuring starter current to check starter load and speed to get a relative reading,not an actual psi reading

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi there,

We'd love to see how we can assist you with this. If you're interested in some additional help, please send us a direct message with your case number.

Callie
Ram Cares