Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HCook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2015 5.7 Hemi with 140,000 miles

First of all, I am no mechanic so bear with me. Bought this truck new in 2015, serviced regularly and never had a single issue until about a month ago. The malfunction indicator light came on and I noticed I was getting approx 2.5 MPG less than normal. A guy I know that owns a shop ran the code and showed me where cylinder 3 was misfiring. He replaced 1 (or 2?) oxygen sensors and said I should be good to go. Light came back on. Changed the plugs and ignition coil. Light came back on. This time I took to local dealership. They said two cylinders were misfiring and diagnosed two bad fuel injectors. I gave the thumbs up to replace the two fuel injectors and they told me they would call when it was ready to pickup. A few days later dealership called and told me they changed the two injectors and fired the truck up to test drive it... then it "blew up". I was furious obviously. They said it was no fault of their own. They said if I drove it 1 mile further it would have "blown up" on me. They said that a lifter broke. After taking it apart they called again to say they were wrong (again) and that it was a piston rod that broke.

Now I'm left with two options: Pay them to install a new engine or tow my truck off their property.

I called Chrysler Corp to file a complaint on the dealership. They gave me a claim #, said they were contacting them to find out what happened and will "help me with the cost" (not getting my hopes up)

Does this BS sound legit? Do I have other options? What all comes with a new engine? Even if I go with new engine option in an older truck I am worried I will have more issues and will always be in and out of the shop

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two things, first, yes the dealer was firing parts at your truck without proper diagnosis. You probably had a valve lift failure they didn't look for. Second, your lifter failed and took out the piston, you aren't the first and you won't be the last for a Hemi lifter failure leading to engine replacement. You're joining a long and weary line on that one.

Next steps depend on you, get a price quote from them for a new engine, get a price quote from down the street for new engine, get a price quote for a junkyard engine install, study up on YouTube university on engine removal and reinstall, kinda up to you.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
i am or at least used to be a mechanic and i would have just taken it back and put a junkyard engine in. its cheaper yes but then i am a mechanic so the little things i could fight.
If you are not, however, is no issue really. it all comes down to cost and what you can afford.
Actually would be a great time now that its at the dealership to just trade for a newer one never mind the year.

Sometimes the peace of mind is worth more that the vehicle involved.

also, things happen and i do not believe the shop is intentionally at fault. they were after all trying to fix it!

OP
OP
H

HCook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Two things, first, yes the dealer was firing parts at your truck without proper diagnosis. You probably had a valve lift failure they didn't look for. Second, your lifter failed and took out the piston, you aren't the first and you won't be the last for a Hemi lifter failure leading to engine replacement. You're joining a long and weary line on that one.

Next steps depend on you, get a price quote from them for a new engine, get a price quote from down the street for new engine, get a price quote for a junkyard engine install, study up on YouTube university on engine removal and reinstall, kinda up to you.
Thanks for the info. What are the chances a new engine will fail with the same faulty lifters that I assume it will come with? Are the 8 year old components in my truck compatible with a new engine? It makes me sick to think about the cost but I guess I would still rather go with new engine that supposedly comes with 1 year warranty

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might want to get in touch with 'Ram Cares' on this site. And start some dialogue with them. A new Chrysler engine, if they'll work with you on the install (like they eat the install cost) ...then you basically have a new engine.

It might be tempting to buy an el-cheapo rebuilt from "Gee-whizz ("We Produce the higest product in the industry") Engine Rebuilders inc", or an unknown quality used engine from XYZ Dismantlers, but a brand new genuine Chrysler Hemi (dealer installed) engine with zero miles would actually increase the value of your pickup quite a bit, probably a couple thousand bucks, if/when you decide to sell it. Esp given the issues with 5.7's and that buyers might be leery of buying a high-mile pickup (say, when you get to 175k mi). So you might think of it as spending money now and getting half back later on.

There's no reason to believe there would be on-going issues with a factory rebuilt engine, if properly installed (I've installed several). Now, of course, anytime an engine is installed, there might be a few items like loose connectors or certain items that may need to be corrected. Kind of like building a house ..there are a few things the contractor has to come back and correct. Even good engine replacers run into that. But if a new engine is installed you shouldn't start jumping up and down and pointing your fingers when the brakes wear out ...or the generator fails, or a wheel bearing craps out. Items are going to wear down.

So, let them give you a price and see what you can do to swing an install deal.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. What are the chances a new engine will fail with the same faulty lifters that I assume it will come with?
Cheaper reman engine, not sure. Reman engine that you throw better lifters/MDS delete/etc. in? Better odds it won't fail again.
Are the 8 year old components in my truck compatible with a new engine?
I don't see why they wouldn't be.

OP
OP
H

HCook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i am or at least used to be a mechanic and i would have just taken it back and put a junkyard engine in. its cheaper yes but then i am a mechanic so the little things i could fight.
If you are not, however, is no issue really. it all comes down to cost and what you can afford.
Actually would be a great time now that its at the dealership to just trade for a newer one never mind the year.

Sometimes the peace of mind is worth more that the vehicle involved.

also, things happen and i do not believe the shop is intentionally at fault. they were after all trying to fix it!
I tried that route with the trade-in.. They don't want my truck which I'm not surprised since it needs a new engine... They told me they know a guy that would give me a grand or two for it..... KBB showed $17k when it was running a month ago..

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, you start talking to people who've bought or installed enough 3rd-party rebuilt engines, many (if not most) buyers have had some issues to sort out. Sometimes major. Like my buddy who bought an Audi engine and upon start-up there was super-low oil pressure. He had to (out of pocket) have the shop dismantle the front timing set (no small job) and install a new chain tensioner and a new oil pump.

And their so-called 'Best-in-class-warranty' ...after days of letters, getting the shop to articulate the entire issue, and going thorugh various hoops they've set up to prevent most from trying to get money ...it wasn't worth anything. I don't think he got a dime back, or maybe a token $200. I don't think he even got that. By the time he was done, cost-wise he might as well have bought a genuine Audi-rebuilt engine. But now that the issues have been sorted out it's been working great, on yr 2.5. Stories like this abound if you talk to enough people. Not that every one is a dog, they're not. But a high number seem to have start-up issues. So trying to save a few bucks on the front end may not ultimately be as great of a savings.

There's a certain value of a dealer-installed engine (with paperwork). I'm guessing being in SC your truck is in pretty good condition. Not a rust-bucket..

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. What are the chances a new engine will fail with the same faulty lifters that I assume it will come with? Are the 8 year old components in my truck compatible with a new engine? It makes me sick to think about the cost but I guess I would still rather go with new engine that supposedly comes with 1 year warranty
While I'm not in your position and my 19' HEMI is running well with almost 121,000KMs on it.. I do know your struggle. 2017/2018 and newer HEMI's have had less issues with lifter/cam failures, and yes, this is a known weak point in our trucks engines.

Moving forward, the Ram 1500 is an amazing truck and no different than other truck in terms of their know weaknesses and/or failure points.

So, if your situation allows for it, and you like your truck model year, then look at dropping in an engine that is built and ready to go. And by that I mean one from a very credible engine shop that has has had head, cam, pushrod, and lifter work done. Look at a modified and built 5.7 ;)

Although, if you're going to go to a straight used drop in motor, look for something low mileage and after 2018, just my $0.02.

Then, immediately go to Red Line 5W30 High Performance engine oil and a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter to ensure your new investment is protected.

I'm sorry you're having these issues now, but the next steps you take will determine the overall outcome of your ownership experience.

OP
OP
H

HCook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cheaper reman engine, not sure. Reman engine that you throw better lifters/MDS delete/etc. in? Better odds it won't fail again.
I don't plan to go the remanufactured route. If I do this I will do brand new Chrysler Hemi installed by dealer. How do I go about putting better lifters in it and doing MDS delete and do you think this would void any warranty that came with the engine? I've always heard the MDS was the issue in the first place but what do I know

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Post deleted (double)

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't plan to go the remanufactured route. If I do this I will do brand new Chrysler Hemi installed by dealer. How do I go about putting better lifters in it and doing MDS delete and do you think this would void any warranty that came with the engine? I've always heard the MDS was the issue in the first place but what do I know
Brother, my $0.02 on this is that of you're in a position to have a dealer install a brand new engine, then screw the dealer altogether and have a properly built engine installed that has all the known B.S. dealt with, and get more stomp for your buck!!! Source a high level and credible engine shop that knows the 5.7 HEMI's!

Your truck is a 2015 based on your info..... If you deal with a credible engine shop they will offer a good warranty for a new engine. Then have a full transmission service done too, and get a know built HEMI that delivers no issues. You may even consider having a performance transmission valve body installed, or just go with a Paramount Transmission replacement and be done with it.

Not that one spends your hard earned money frivolously, but when life throws you lemons, and you're in a position to make lemonade, then make some damn good lemonade and enjoy the net results..... just saying.

OP
OP
H

HCook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You might want to get in touch with 'Ram Cares' on this site. And start some dialogue with them. A new Chrysler engine, if they'll work with you on the install (like they eat the install cost) ...then you basically have a new engine.

It might be tempting to buy an el-cheapo rebuilt from "Gee-whizz ("We Produce the higest product in the industry") Engine Rebuilders inc", or an unknown quality used engine from XYZ Dismantlers, but a brand new genuine Chrysler Hemi (dealer installed) engine with zero miles would actually increase the value of your pickup quite a bit, probably a couple thousand bucks, if/when you decide to sell it. Esp given the issues with 5.7's and that buyers might be leery of buying a high-mile pickup (say, when you get to 175k mi). So you might think of it as spending money now and getting half back later on.

There's no reason to believe there would be on-going issues with a factory rebuilt engine, if properly installed (I've installed several). Now, of course, anytime an engine is installed, there might be a few items like loose connectors or certain items that may need to be corrected. Kind of like building a house ..there are a few things the contractor has to come back and correct. Even good engine replacers run into that. But if a new engine is installed you shouldn't start jumping up and down and pointing your fingers when the brakes wear out ...or the generator fails, or a wheel bearing craps out. Items are going to wear down.

So, let them give you a price and see what you can do to swing an install deal.
Thanks for the info. I will try that with Ram Cares. I am hoping I hear back from Chrysler Corp soon. On Friday the chick told me she was reaching out to the dealership for more info and would call me this week to let me know what my "co-pay" will be. I'm trying not to get my hopes up with them tho. I do plan to go with a brand new genuine Chrysler Hemi and have the dealership install it. When you say brand new does that mean a 2023 engine? Or do they have crate engines from 2015 laying around? Have the issues with the older models been addressed? I'd like to think the 5th gens will not have some of the issues I've always heard about with the older models. Sorry just trying to educate myself

OP
OP
H

HCook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also, you start talking to people who've bought or installed enough 3rd-party rebuilt engines, many (if not most) buyers have had some issues to sort out. Sometimes major. Like my buddy who bought an Audi engine and upon start-up there was super-low oil pressure. He had to (out of pocket) have the shop dismantle the front timing set (no small job) and install a new chain tensioner and a new oil pump.

And their so-called 'Best-in-class-warranty' ...after days of letters, getting the shop to articulate the entire issue, and going thorugh various hoops they've set up to prevent most from trying to get money ...it wasn't worth anything. I don't think he got a dime back, or maybe a token $200. I don't think he even got that. By the time he was done, cost-wise he might as well have bought a genuine Audi-rebuilt engine. But now that the issues have been sorted out it's been working great, on yr 2.5. Stories like this abound if you talk to enough people. Not that every one is a dog, they're not. But a high number seem to have start-up issues. So trying to save a few bucks on the front end may not ultimately be as great of a savings.

There's a certain value of a dealer-installed engine (with paperwork). I'm guessing being in SC your truck is in pretty good condition. Not a rust-bucket..
I will verify before giving them the thumbs up on the engine and the install. I'm not interested in any 3rd party or any rebuilds. The dealership said they will install "new engine with certificate". Does this mean it's literally brand new or would they be talking about a rebuilt engine? Again, I will verify just trying to educate myself. Also, this might be a dumb question but are we talking about a 2023 engine? Is it a dumb question if I ask the year of the new engine? Thanks for the help

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's no proof MDS causes any lifter / cam issues. The failures are both MDS & non MDS. The most popular reason is poor lubrication at idle to the cam & lifters. Most failures are on high idle hours engines. Police cars, contractors that leave the vehicles idling for long periods while working.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will verify before giving them the thumbs up on the engine and the install. I'm not interested in any 3rd party or any rebuilds. The dealership said they will install "new engine with certificate". Does this mean it's literally brand new or would they be talking about a rebuilt engine? Again, I will verify just trying to educate myself. Also, this might be a dumb question but are we talking about a 2023 engine? Is it a dumb question if I ask the year of the new engine? Thanks for the help
Ask them!
What year is this new OEM crate engine, and what factory warranty does it come with!

Then, use RL 5W30 oil and the RP 20-820 oil filter, change is every 5,000 miles, use a minimum of 91 octane fuel, and move forward!

OP
OP
H

HCook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ask them!
What year is this new OEM crate engine, and what factory warranty does it come with!

Then, use RL 5W30 oil and the RP 20-820 oil filter, change is every 5,000 miles, use a minimum of 91 octane fuel, and move forward!
Will do thanks for the info. Currently, I commute for work 110 miles per day. Filling up every four days with premium may be out of my price range Lol

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you said you weren't interested in a reman, but I installed a Powertrain Products 5.7 in my 2006 Charger back in November. I'm about 8,000 miles in and no problems. They corrected a few issues during reman such as pinning the valve sats, drilled out drain back holes in the head and block for oil flow, corrected timing chain guide and tensioner failure with improved parts, and use MLS head gaskets.

Good luck!

...oh, and their warranty ain't bad either.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will do thanks for the info. Currently, I commute for work 110 miles per day. Filling up every four days with premium may be out of my price range Lol
You're welcome.
Perhaps look at it this way....
My step-daughter said this same thing of her 2017 Ram HEMI.... but then she listened and did what I suggested in terms of.... for the next 4 fill ups, only use premium (we use Costco here in Ontario, Canada as it saves money.... but their 91 is still free of ethanol)... and if you don't see an improvement in terms of more MPG and a better responding engine, don't use it again!

So, she did that, and guess what, she came back and said that hands down, her HEMI is running stronger and happier, and she has increased her kilometers per tank full. She now uses 91 fuel at every top up.

I have the 32 gallon tank on my 19', and even with today's stupid gas prices it's maybe $25 more per tank full vs regular fuel. But, when I calculate that into increased mileage, and I get 50km to 70km more per tank full (depending on how happy my foot is...lol), and, my engine runs stronger and happier, that is pretty much a wash out in terms of value per dollar.

As many will tell you here (not all, and several will argue this too), regular 87 octane fuel is not a friend to our HEMI's. Carbon is a real thing, and this is why 91 fuel and a good shot of RL SI-1 once in a while, is a very good thing for the long term enjoyment and overall positive ownership experience for us HEMI peeps ;)

Just my $0.02, though!