5.7 Hemi Heads Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone, hope all
Is doing well through this covid junk.
Anyways I have replaced my Hemi heads when I did my cam back in April 2021. So now I have my heads sitting in my shed and want to upgrade them and throw them
Back on in the near future. What I’m asking is what can I do to upgrade them besides porting? I need to replace my
Valves as they are junk and I want to install good springs/push rods. Right now I have TSP springs/rods with my cam and the heads I bought had the valve seats redone, no porting though which I should have gotten done then, however time/money were both factors. When I get them ported/cleaned, what should I get them ported too? I know nothing of the cylinder head measurements or what everyone ports theirs too. I am also looking at pistons/rods whenever I get around to installing new ported heads. I’m not in a rush and just want to get all the parts first. Thanks for any help that anyone may through out there.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Porting/valve springs depend on cam specs.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my valves all back cut 25 degrees. Ive heard estimates of 4-8hp per cylinder picked up. You can feel it for sure.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
You haven't gotten a lot of responses to this, here's some info for consideration. Upgrading your heads as you've pointed out primarily involves porting, polishing, doing a different valve job, and messing with your valves. Porting to increase flow, polishing to squeeze even more out, doing a valve job that increases flow, and upgrading the valve train with lighter valves/sodium filled whatever. Here'e the thing though, these hemi heads, especially the eagles, already flow better than most folks need. Yes, you'll always see some benefit by making the air pump that is our engines more efficient, but without some serious supporting mods, you're performance increases will be minimal. I'd say figure out your overall performance plans and goals first, and determine if the head work is worth it. Doing that sort of work on heads is really an art form, and can be expensive, might not be worth it unless you're doing a cam, power adders, or some serious stroking.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Absolutely agree with this. ^^^^^^^
Eagle heads are already great. You may benefit from some polishing but I think valve work is more beneficial.

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I wanted to hear. Yes, I have most bolt ons, just looking at 6.4 intake, have the rest of a “FBO” installed. Gearing done, Trans waiting to be shipped, and my heads already off sitting in the shed. So this is great to hear, no rush to have the heads done, however would like to get the new parts and procedures going now on them while they sit. Thanks everyone that’s chimed in with their knowledge.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i worked with a guy that had his heads ported by some system that a polishing liquid is flowed through the heads to port them- he said they do this on aircraft. His car was sick and he did say it was expensive to get done but like others have mentioned all i have ever heard is head work is expensive.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i worked with a guy that had his heads ported by some system that a polishing liquid is flowed through the heads to port them- he said they do this on aircraft. His car was sick and he did say it was expensive to get done but like others have mentioned all i have ever heard is head work is expensive.
It's called "extrude honing".

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t care for dishing out more money by the way it’s ported, just want them ported lol. I wish I could do that stuff myself, but I’m not even in left field when it comes to machine work, Im
Not even in the ballpark

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Back in the day port matched to gasket.......still doable with exhaust gasket but would need template on intake side......better yet let the pros handle it.......LoL

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
Jesel valve train is what I would want in mine. They make a lot of stuff for nascar and Wayne jesel is a friend of mine and has personally driven his ram 1500 highly modified to numerous land speed records at Bonneville. He knows these engines as well as anyone in the world does and his company specifically makes valve train components for racing engines etc. look them up online and see what they offer. He may do head porting too but I am not sure about that

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Jesel valve train is what I would want in mine. They make a lot of stuff for nascar and Wayne jesel is a friend of mine and has personally driven his ram 1500 highly modified to numerous land speed records at Bonneville. He knows these engines as well as anyone in the world does and his company specifically makes valve train components for racing engines etc. look them up online and see what they offer. He may do head porting too but I am not sure about that
You must rob banks for a living to swing a Jesel rocker arm set-up for a Hemi,lol

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
You must rob banks for a living to swing a Jesel rocker arm set-up for a Hemi,lol
Well I have never priced his items, I just raced with him for many years and have seen what his team has done. He is a great competitor and and an all around great guy too. He has at least two 200 mph club hats/rings to show for it. I only have one