5.7 Hemi No-Mess Oil Filter Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill have to try that. Looks easier than using 1gal ziploc bag to drop filter in to get out. Dont know how well the jug will work using the 899s i use instead of the 339s. It is a tight squeeze with that larger filter.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great idea. Thanks for tip on the Arizona bottle Cheech. We drink that so I have access to those bottles. Definitely doing that next oil change

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Geat idea with the gallon milk jug, plus that video is really good and you did a great job of making it.
I will have to make me a oil filter funnel now as I'm tired of the mess it make on the steering rack

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did almost same thing for my zx10 a bunch of yrs back..In mine i just used a quart sized oil bottle..

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ill have to try that. Looks easier than using 1gal ziploc bag to drop filter in to get out. Dont know how well the jug will work using the 899s i use instead of the 339s. It is a tight squeeze with that larger filter.
I did the bag method...bag slipped out of my hands, still had a mess....so angry!

Colcam3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Hey thanks for that video I always like to change my oil because I don’t trust the commercial facilities and save maybe $20 bucks.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
After the first time I made a mess changing the oil filter, I decided to come up with a better plan. It worked, but that was the 'prototype' and this time I finally decided to make a video and share with others.
This is what I do, and it keeps me from having to wipe up a mess afterwards, so if it will work for you, I'm sharing it. If you have a better way, make a video and share it. I've used this for three oil changes and no mess. (except that time I kicked over the filter full of oil before installing it). lol

show this to your dealer. No more leaky oil changes. They thought it was "neat". They are currently using it.

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Brilliant! I will be doing this next oil change. I dumped a whole filter full of oil on my power steering rack last oil change. Pretty sure my neighbor heard me swearing!
LOL... I'm pretty sure my neighbors have discovered my second language on a few occasions.

The second time I changed my oil, I was going to be real neat about it and not make a mess. Famous last words.

I was under the truck taking the oil filter out, and I tilted it a little too much, and a few drips started flowing. I quickly shuffled out of the way to avoid getting hit with the drops, and accidentally kicked over my oil filter, full of oil, which was staged for the install next to my passenger front tire.

As I went to grab the filter, which was rolling down the driveway, I dumped some of the dirty oil from the filter onto my shirt.

While trying to shuffle and get out from under the truck and avoid the mess, I scooted out and kicked over the 5 quart jug, which was in front of the driver side tire, staged for filling the engine. Some dummy left the cap off of it (me), so I had an oily mess on both sides of my truck, but couldn't move it because the new filter wasn't installed yet, and the pan was empty.

I think I increased my vocabulary by a few choice words that day.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
One reason I mentioned not using a wrench is because some people would assume it needed 75 ft-lbs. I get it tight, then grab it and give it another quarter turn - definitely helps with a dry filter and clean, dry hands. I've never lost a filter in 40 years... which is how long ago I learned not to tighten it so much! lol

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good idea but I haven't seen a side handle water jug in my area ..
What I use is a large Zip Lock freezer bag ... Make sure the filter is loose enough to turn by hand, slide the bag right over the filter and slowly screw the filter off ... the oil drips into the bag and the filter drops into it as well ... carefully remove the bag and zip it closed ... Done ...

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Good idea but I haven't seen a side handle water jug in my area ..
What I use is a large Zip Lock freezer bag ... Make sure the filter is loose enough to turn by hand, slide the bag right over the filter and slowly screw the filter off ... the oil drips into the bag and the filter drops into it as well ... carefully remove the bag and zip it closed ... Done ...
Crawling around under the truck, leverage is my enemy... and reach. lol

Grocery stores usually have a few different brands of distilled water, and it runs about a buck, that's how I found one.

Todd Bennett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks... that's a great video. I just got my 2019 so I'm going to look at the filter.

BillyNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great idea. I'm looking for a similar jug. I think the windshield cleaner jugs are shaped like yours. My only issue is when you crack loose the filter you only get the oil that's above it. I've been using the "bag" method, but thanks to an old mechanic, learned to punch a hole in the side of the filter and let it drain. Then punch a hole in the bottom to get the other side of the oil. Otherwise, you have to handle a full and slippery filter (a personal, messy experience).
Perhaps, with all of the ingenious Rammers, we'll eventually find the truly messless method!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo