5.7 internals meet outside world

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20230211_105903.jpg

Truck is 04 5.7. Going to be swapping something in, but I can't figure out what.

Older 5.7 have valve seat issues
Newer 5.7 have cam/ lifter issues
Would really like more power than both, and definitely want to try and "bullet proof" it. Best i can tell a stock iii Gen hemi can get up to 100hp from a cam header tune depending on a few variables. But how much of the issues is really dealt with? I would think either the entire head or at the very least a valve job would be needed to avoid the seat drop.

I've been doing some searching for a few days before posting this. I'm sure the information is all here somewhere but a single thread for the pros and cons of each kind of build would be epic.

I'll keep searching, but I welcome discussion and input from those in the know.

EDIT****
This is a list of things I would like to accomplish in this project. No order, just general thoughts on things I think I want and might not even be possible.

- mild cam
- better flow heads
- some sort of header
- more modern style of ignition coils
- clean up/ hide wiring and hoses

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Truck is 04 5.7. Going to be swapping something in, but I can't figure out what.

Older 5.7 have valve seat issues
Newer 5.7 have cam/ lifter issues
Would really like more power than both, and definitely want to try and "bullet proof" it. Best i can tell a stock iii Gen hemi can get up to 100hp from a cam header tune depending on a few variables. But how much of the issues is really dealt with? I would think either the entire head or at the very least a valve job would be needed to avoid the seat drop.

If been doing some searching for a few days before posting this. I'm sure the information is all here somewhere but a single thread for the pros and cons of each kind of build would be epic.

I'll keep searching, but I welcome discussion and input from those in the know.
Older 5.7's (03-08) only have valve seat issues if you overheat the f@ck out of them. Got an 03 with 165k+, an 05 with 130k+ and had an 06 with over 180k+ before it got wrecked; all on the original cylinder heads.
Newer 5.7's (09+) you aren't putting in your truck unless you lockout the VVT and pull the crank to put a 32T wheel in, thus negating the advantage of using a VVT engine (or go standalone controller).
That 100 hp gain you might get depends on how streetable you're willing to live with; if you still use your truck as a truck, super high stumbly idle from a high rpm cam isn't gonna fly. On top of that, if you manage to start making that much power, your trans will be living on borrowed time; RFE's don't like it.
Replacement heads have better valve seats installed; conversely you could go with eagle heads (the later ones) or aftermarket. Edelbrock has them, AFR just came out with some and Thitek (being the most expensive) are all pricey. Keep in mind with eagle heads, the chamber cc is much smaller; you can either have the short block built with pistons to match or you can go the thicker head gasket route to bring the CR down.
The stock PCM will run a 5.7 based 392 stroker, so you should be good there.
A single thread would be impossible simply due to the nearly unlimited combos that can be dreamed up. Every build is driven by these basic elements:
1. Budget (to factor in labor if you can't do it yourself)
2. Parts availability
3. Intended use
4. Time available
Everything else is pretty much secondary to those.

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That 100 hp gain you might get depends on how streetable you're willing to live with; if you still use your truck as a truck, super high stumbly idle from a high rpm cam isn't gonna fly. On top of that, if you manage to start making that much power, your trans will be living on borrowed time
So just to not confuse the internet and create a black hole in the space time insert stupid argument here.

Now that argument is covered, I completely agree. In ANY build there is give and take.

I think for a daily driven street truck application that sees occasional tow/haul work my best bet would be to run an early Gen 3 and include a decent but not crazy cam and do some work to the head. Pre eagle heads don't flow the same as the eagles, but are no slouch. With some bigger valves and porting they can be brought up to eagle flow pretty reliably from what I've seen.

Now i have never built one, and I'm going based on what I have found in my searching. Which i admit isn't the same as years of experience. That's why I'm here and asking for guidance.

Budget is something of gray area. I'm not willing to drop 12k on a crate motor, but if I need a couple hundred extra bucks here or there to do something right, I'll wait until more money can be harvested from the tree in my back yard.
Time fits in with budget. Obviously I'd like my truck to magically be done right now. But in the real world I have no NEED for my truck right away. I don't work with it, and it's not the primary family vehicle. I can't see me waiting months for something like the bigger versions of the afe heads to come out. Waiting a week or two until the extra dollars are in the account for the right part is absolutely something I would do.

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to add a list of ... goals I think the word is. Just things I would like to do.

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone run a 260 cam on a daily truck? I was looking through comps site, and that seems to be the best truck grind, but I may be wrong. What valve /port work did you do with that cam?

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up a low mileage donor from an 05 1500. I'm guessing I'm in for either a game of swapping every sensor or swapping the pcm which unlocks much more comprehensive tuning. So that I guess will have to happen as well.

Also snagged a full exhaust... lt headers, 3" pipes into x member then into a set of magnaflows. Crappy factory manifolds? Nope. Crappy factory y? Nope.

I'm looking into a cam that seems to give really nice numbers but runs a little too high in the rpm range. Trying to figure out if I can adjust cam timing to dial back to about 1500ish rpm. I honestly have no clue where to get that information. Specs on the cam are as follows. Screenshot_20230215_135329_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230215_135339_Chrome.jpg

Really hoping @HemiLonestar or someone on that level chimes in

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know if this computer will work?

"2005 5.7 ECM, wiring harness, throttle pedal and shifter and dash cluster , remove from Dodge Magnum with 80,000 mi"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That last post was supposed to have a screen shot of a market place ad.... not sure what happened. edited it to just have a quote from the description

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no need...... apparently the later 04's got the same computer as the 05. 161 designation on the computer = newer comp and no need for a swap. Glad I didnt buy that one on FB

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone know if this computer will work?

"2005 5.7 ECM, wiring harness, throttle pedal and shifter and dash cluster , remove from Dodge Magnum with 80,000 mi"
Wouldn't have worked anyway. That's from a CAN based LX (car).

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
guys I'm having issues with being old I guess.

Back in the day, crate motor for the stang or nitrous in the Lincoln was just a great idea. Now I'm sitting here arguing with myself about should I build or just replace. Why do I really need/want better heads, cam, tune, etc. My budget is time not money. I dont NEED the truck up and running right now. But why waste the down time and the money on horses I'll barely ever use. ADULTING SUCKS!

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, tore into the donor motor.

20230221_185854.jpg

honestly this probably would have been ok to just drop into the truck and run. But there is a large amount of carbon that I will be able to get rid of while Im in here.

20230222_142342.jpg
Plus all new gaskets. Main bearing and such all look brand new except for being covered in oil.

Water pump looks really new, then sat after being taken out of the donor truck. Im seriously thinking I will just clean up the corosion from sitting and run it.
20230222_120444.jpg

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just throwing this out for consideration...
For the ancillary things, seeing how this donor engine is out, do replace things like the water pump & thermostat, put in a HellCat oil pump upgrade, put in a new timing chain and guide kit (I know the 5.7's in the LX/LC platforms we installed the 6.1 timing chain and guides as an upgrade, not sure if it's the same here for a truck application), send the heads out for full cleaning, use some new ARP head studs and Cometic head gaskets, maybe consider some small things to add strength and robustness to areas of the stock 5.7 platform that we know to be deficient. And do consider a new and possibly improved cam.. just saying. You can stay stock lope, or a tiny bump so it doesn't need tuning, but while it's apart and the cam is a known deficiency... eh, may be a thought to think?

You've got it out, it's really not a big, big cost adder to do some improvements that will add strength and dependability to your new engine. You don't want to have to do this again.

Anyhoooo.... great thread and look forward to following the progress.

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've got it out, it's really not a big, big cost adder to do some improvements that will add strength and dependability to your new engine. You don't want to have to do this again.

thats the idea.... well basic thought process. I havent posted this yet, but I picked up a set of heads that have been machined leak tested and peened to avoid seat drop. Vc52bd688-9ffe-43ac-b7fc-c8a14b610167photo.jpeg

I wont be replacing every part just because Im here, but I am checking everything. If it meets spec it can stay.

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh.... and everyone that is looking at the background saying what a dirty place to build a motor. Trust me when I say that once the motor gets its bath, I'll have it in a MUCH cleaner environment. I'm just taking things apart and making a mess.

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing exciting to report here. Everything is oiled and wrapped in plastic bags while I wait for parts to show up. I haven't even finished ordering everything so that may take a while. My stage 8 header bolts came in yesterday. So that's a start but not a really good one. Lol

I also cleaned my shop up big time yesterday. Today I'll keep going with that .

anyone need these filters? I have had them for 2 years and just now realized they are the wrong size for my machine. So i can't return them to hd.
20230217_115419.jpg

OP
OP
Spsully

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few days of doing family stuff, and then this shows up

20230303_224546.jpg
I'm still waiting on more parts but getting closer.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For the ancillary things, seeing how this donor engine is out, do replace things like the water pump & thermostat, put in a HellCat oil pump upgrade, put in a new timing chain and guide kit (I know the 5.7's in the LX/LC platforms we installed the 6.1 timing chain and guides as an upgrade, not sure if it's the same here for a truck application), send the heads out for full cleaning, use some new ARP head studs and Cometic head gaskets, maybe consider some small things to add strength and robustness to areas of the stock 5.7 platform that we know to be deficient. And do consider a new and possibly improved cam.. just saying. You can stay stock lope, or a tiny bump so it doesn't need tuning, but while it's apart and the cam is a known deficiency... eh, may be a thought to think?

Anyhoooo.... great thread and look forward to following the progress.
Hellcat oil pump is from a VVT engine, which he does not have (2004).