5.7 plug change through wheel well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

staying_tuned

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed the plugs after realized that while the previous was religious about fluids and service intervals, they missed the 100k w/ the plug change (currently have 107k on it). Being a 14, I got the mopar iridiums and the gearwrench swivel socket that came highly recommended by other members. That tool was a blessing.

I opted to go through the wheel well because my back cramps up quickly when bent over for an extended period of time. I liked the idea of just sitting on a bucket but I couldn't find any pictures of what level of access you get by removing the liner. I wen't back and forth on it but I'm glad I opted for this route and figured I'd post a shot for others looking. The only thing I had to do up top is lift up on the engine cover. I didn't remove it, just unseated it so it had some play.

This is the drivers side, the harder of the two. I needed only the gearwrench swivel socket and my ratchet for the plugs, no extra extensions were needed. The biggest PITA was of course the one under the booster but I removed all the coils at once, blew the wells out with my compressor then slapped painters tape over them. I then started from the far right and moved from the brake booster to the front. The removal of all the coils freed up a ton of space.

As a side bonus, I was able to address this compost pile that had built up over the last 100k miles. Vacumed, cleaned it up a bit and then drowned it in Krown rust preventative spray.

All in all it took me 3 hours with the "help" of my 4 and 2 year old sons : o )

access.jpg

compost-pile.jpg

cleaned-krowned.jpg

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the tips. Do you have a link to the swivel socket or a part number?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Nice writeup & pics. Especially the compost pic, sounds like we should pull the wheel well liners every year to clean that out and avoid rusting.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice writeup & pics. Especially the compost pic, sounds like we should pull the wheel well liners every year to clean that out and avoid rusting.

Oddly enough this was the case for the drivers side not the passengers. There was enough dirt build-up on the passenger side to justify the process of pulling back enough of the liner to get at them but nothing like the drivers side.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. What makes it better than a regular spark plug socket and a wobbler extension?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Regular magnetized socket with a joint extension in addition to a 3” extension would do it. I’ve got a 3/4” joint extension and standard plug sockets but the total length of just the two wouldn’t be enough without a short extension (which I don’t have). My 8” would be too long.

That gearwrench is about 1.5” longer than the well on a fully seated plug making it perfect to lower onto a plug then just pop your wrench onto it.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Regular magnetized socket with a joint extension in addition to a 3” extension would do it. I’ve got a 3/4” joint extension and standard plug sockets but the total length of just the two wouldn’t be enough without a short extension (which I don’t have). My 8” would be too long.

That gearwrench is about 1.5” longer than the well on a fully seated plug making it perfect to lower onto a plug then just pop your wrench onto it.
Ok, sold. Can never have too many tools.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, sold. Can never have too many tools.

If you have a 1" extension to add to the gear wrench swivel socket it makes it even better.I've never had any issues with the drivers side plugs,the ones I find the hardest to do,are the back ones on the pass side under the wire harness,i change my plugs every year on my nitrous fed toy,and hate those back pass side ones with a passion,lol

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the tip, I can see how that would be much easier then leaning into the engine bay. I had my front liners out earlier this year because I knew there was crud behind them and gave it a good cleaning.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its the only way to go !

65463138_10157520930873552_236569268269875200_n.jpg

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the encouragement to go through the wheel wells - the videos I have seen all go through the top. With the wheel well approach I can clean out behind the liners, and I can combine this with exhaust manifold removal, machining, and reinstallation.

I second the recommendation for the Gearwrench socket. My wife bought me one for a birthday gift last year - and though I have not used it yet on the RAM, it's been great for plug changes on three other vehicles. Transverse V6's in vans can have some pretty limited space to remove plugs.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I did the plugs in my '15 from the top, but had a topside creeper. The worst I got was a sore abdomen from laying my fat ass on it...lol.

That 80546 tool is the ******* for making the job easier. A cold beer or two helps alot as well. Took me about 2-1/2 hrs., taking my time.

May your repairs go smoothly.

Wow! The word s h i z n i t is censored? Really?
Give me a fvcking break!

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This looks like a lot of work compared to just changing them from under the hood. All I have used are two 3 inch extensions, plug socket with rubber insert to hold the plug, and a 3/8" ratchet. No swivel socket is needed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This looks like a lot of work compared to just changing them from under the hood. All I have used are two 3 inch extensions, plug socket with rubber insert to hold the plug, and a 3/8" ratchet. No swivel socket is needed.
After you use the Gear Wrench socket,you'll kick your rear for not buying it sooner.