5.7l Hemi Oil Pan - After Market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hey guys, I have an '03 Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi 4x4 and it has a slow leak of oil right at the back just before the trans pan.

From what I am reading... you need to lift the engine 2 inches for the pan to clear? Because of that, in Canada, it's $1000 to get my pan swapped. So, $150 for the pan and $850 for labour? Unbelieveable.

I have seen a few posts about there being enough room if you remove something else instead... but never saw any photos or much detail to know if a one-person job with basic tools.

So 2 questions...

1) Anyone know of an easier way I can DIY this oil pan? Like a good how-to video maybe?

2) Was anyone smart enough to make an after market oil pan that fits without lifting the engine? Obviously I don't care about the old pan getting bent or broken coming out, it's trash anyways... is there an aftermarket fit that goes in more easily? It sounds like something smart and useful to have made given the cumbersome design.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a 4" lift and 1.5" body lift. the pan comes right out ;)

Never seen anything aftermarket that would solve that issue. The pickup tube would also get bent if you tried to pry it out.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I think the previous owner may have added a 1-2" lift to the truck, not sure... does seem taller than many ofter Rams when I park next to them... then again, 17" vs 20" could also do it.

Darn truck's been dead in the driveway since Xmas because of a bas accelerator pedal position sensor, and I guess on the 2003-04 5.7l Hemi only it was located under the battery. Finally found one at a wreckers since no longer made anbd $650CAD off eBay.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a new gasket on mine. I put my front end on Jackstands and dropped the front axle.Took a weekend.