5/8 inch pin quality for receiver hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is there any difference in quality or strength of 5/8 inch pins for a receiver hitch? There is a lot of information to be found on hitches, drawbars, balls, etc. but nothing about the pin. Thanks.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't worry about it to much because there's not really enough back and forth movement or a sharp enough edge to cause any shearing action. I've not heard of any trouble with receiver pins other than taking them out and forgetting where you put them. It's a good idea to take it out every so often and look at it. If it looks deformed then get a new one

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Nope I carry 2 I use a locking one for my hitch and I carry a standard one incase I need to pull someone or something with my tow strap.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There have been a couple of reports of the pins bending on other forum. I think in every case they were 2.5” receivers with adapters installed to reduce to 2”. I think there are no worries as long as you use a name brand pin and avoid adapters if you have a 2.5” receiver.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
bring this back up. i have a 5/8 BulletProof hitchs locking pin and it bent. towing my rv. i use a wdh. and on there sit they say not to do that. but i did. they are sending me a new one. which is very nice. but my wdh is the main one i use. so now i have ordered a weighsafe locking pin now. hope its up to the task. this is on a 2.5 receiver with reducer to 2

0429211338.jpg

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
bring this back up. i have a 5/8 BulletProof hitchs locking pin and it bent. towing my rv. i use a wdh. and on there sit they say not to do that. but i did. they are sending me a new one. which is very nice. but my wdh is the main one i use. so now i have ordered a weighsafe locking pin now. hope its up to the task. this is on a 2.5 receiver with reducer to 2
I missed that fine print on their website. Sorry you had to have the problem for us to benefit, but I looked at the website again and found that the standard pins, not the locking ones, that bulletproof provides will work with that weight distribution hitch connector. The trade

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I want locking pin weighsafe says theres is fine with a wdh. guess ill find out soon.lol

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I've been towing my Layton for the past 4 years with the 2.5 to 2" adapter sleeve with my wdh with no issues. That is with a standard pin however, not a locking pin.

Robert Fly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both of my trucks I use a 5/8" grade 8 bolt and a lock nut. I only tow a car trailer or another utility trailer.