5.9 magnum exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I’m currently looking for a new exhaust for my truck. At the moment it is all stock with a magnaflow muffler. I want something fairly loud but not straight piped loud. I also want something that will give me room for improvement if I decide to do engine mods. What would be the best setup for headers, cat vs offroad y pipe and a good cat back. Also single or dual. Any opinions are welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Single 3" pipe from the cat back with whatever muffler you like is enough for most. If you want to start getting into modifications, longtube headers with a matching y pipe shows the best overall gain everywhere whereas shortys don't show much. They're also much easier to install, having had both myself. It's also plenty for what most guys get into. The point at which you'll need more you'll probably be wasting money going for the minor increase of dual 2.5" and will need to step up to 3".

Can also run dual 2.5" with the above advice too with no loss of performance though it'll cost significantly more. Especially if you're going through a shop because they'll require cats

OP
OP
M

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thank you for the advice. Mass doesn’t require emissions on anything over 15 years old. So should I do stock manifolds to an offroad y pipe to a 3” single?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I wouldn't bother deleting the cat if you're sticking with stock manifolds unless it dies and crumbles. The real reason is before it. Use the muffler to tone your sound