5.9 Magnum Rebuild Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryBoy1630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8 Magnum
I have a 1998 1500 with the 5.9 Magnum. I am currently doing a full rebuild on it. I got the block bored .030 over so far and had the crank polished. I am planning on getting new heads because of course, the stock one are cracked. I’m going with the slightly upgraded heads, not the stock replacements. I am having trouble figuring out which Cam to go with however. I contacted Huges Engines and the guy suggested this cam, HUG SER0814ALN-14. I have emailed Comp but they haven’t emailed me back yet. I don’t want anything crazy, I will mainly be doing daily driving and occasionally tow a bass boat or a medium tractor. I don’t want to have to do any major modifications for the cam to work like regear or major transmission upgrades. Just something to give it a little sound and maybe work a little better. I’m open to all suggestions.

The next problem I am running into is the intake. I want to upgrade it to either the Huges FI Air-Gap or if I can find one of the MPI ones. Does anyone know where a good place to find either one of these? They seem to be discontinued everywhere now‍♂️

If anyone has done a rebuild like I am doing and has any input, I am open to anything. I am not trying to make a race truck, but I want to give it a little power upgrade while I got it tore all the way down.

Thanks in advance!

crmayton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1998 1500 with the 5.9 Magnum. I am currently doing a full rebuild on it. I got the block bored .030 over so far and had the crank polished. I am planning on getting new heads because of course, the stock one are cracked. I’m going with the slightly upgraded heads, not the stock replacements. I am having trouble figuring out which Cam to go with however. I contacted Huges Engines and the guy suggested this cam, HUG SER0814ALN-14. I have emailed Comp but they haven’t emailed me back yet. I don’t want anything crazy, I will mainly be doing daily driving and occasionally tow a bass boat or a medium tractor. I don’t want to have to do any major modifications for the cam to work like regear or major transmission upgrades. Just something to give it a little sound and maybe work a little better. I’m open to all suggestions.

The next problem I am running into is the intake. I want to upgrade it to either the Huges FI Air-Gap or if I can find one of the MPI ones. Does anyone know where a good place to find either one of these? They seem to be discontinued everywhere now‍♂️

If anyone has done a rebuild like I am doing and has any input, I am open to anything. I am not trying to make a race truck, but I want to give it a little power upgrade while I got it tore all the way down.

Thanks in advance!
I have a after market intake ,cam shaft and a few other small parts for sale if you are interested

bigdodge

Reaction score
With my 408 I stayed with a small torque cam. 210/220 512 lift if I remember. It's no race truck but it will roast tires for days @nd is pleasant to drive while not getting tired of it. As for the intake [emoji108] had an M1 intake and went back to a modified stock intake for more low end.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a after market intake ,cam shaft and a few other small parts for sale if you are interested
crmayton,
I am in the process of rebuilding my engine (still), may be interested in some parts you have, send me a PM with what you have and prices if you would

crmayton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a after market intake ,cam shaft and a few other small parts for sale if you are interested It will take me a couple day to get the parts down out of my garage. I will send you pictures and more information,, all of the parts are new

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Get the airgap and just get it through hughes. Knowing him, the cam he suggested will work better with it than the other available intakes. They are discontinued so I'd call them again and see what they say for an eta