5.9 V8 magnum upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AHaub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Hey so I'm new to the group but I got a 01 ram 2500 with the 5.9 v8 I just order short tube headers, a tune up kit, and a few minor things for it including a cold air intake. Now I'm looking at cams and I ain't to sure on what I wanna do the truck has 239k on it... Was wondering what your guys opinion was on camming it (size) and what else would you do for some more power. Or would you go a different route I'm just effy cause it's a 239k motor but this is also my first dodge motor so I'm still learning but I'm a back yard mechanic and have worked on quite a bit from brakes to pulling motors so I got a pretty good idea on what I'm doing but this will be the first cam I've done so I'm just tryna make sure I'm not making the wrong call camming it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mop

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Save your money and leave it stock. These magnum engines are built for trucks only, good torque but low horsepower. Trying to get horsepower is very expensive$$$

OP
OP
A

AHaub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Ok I was looking into these and yeah your right, I think I'm just gonna get a tuner to help with the new headers and cold air intake I got for it and do a tune up on her. When it comes to the headers though has anyone done them on a magnum? Jw if I should go get a extractor rn I know my ford header bolts was known to strip right out

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
From a maintenance perspective, check the coolant bypass hose under the alternator / belt tensioner assembly. I can’t tell you how long I troubleshot coolant issues until I replaced that hose. It looks fine from the front and sides, but gets hot and weakens over time.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Save your money and leave it stock. These magnum engines are built for trucks only, good torque but low horsepower. Trying to get horsepower is very expensive$$$

I would disagree but it's a matter of semantics. Making a reliable 400 flywheel horsepower is no more expensive than any other Mopar. These engines have a lineage that dates back to the early 1960's with the LA 273.

The real disadvantage is that these trucks are heavy and usually under geared. 400+ horsepower still seems lazy with 3 forward gears and 3:55 diffs. The stock heads flow poorly, and while the intake manifolds can be modded, it's a time/money factor.

These trucks do respond well to bolt ons combined with a good tune from one of the on site tuners. In addition to the tune and headers and nearly useless cold air intake, a 53 mm throttle body would be worthy of consideration.
With 239k miles, major internal mods wouldn't be helpful... at most, a set of 1.7 Harland sharp rocker arms will add some lift and duration to the stock cam. Gains of 15 hp without a tune are possible.

While my truck isn't a hemi rocket, it is pretty peppy. The two biggest gains for me were from the 4:10 gear swap and 53 mm TB. After that would be the tune and headers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mop