5.9 V8 Not Making Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeRamFan1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I have a 99' 1500 with a 98' 5.9 v8, It start up no problem but when i start driving it feels so sluggish especially going up any hill it struggles. At around 2-3k RPM it wont pick up any speed just climb in RPM and when i let off the truck kind of jerks a little bit. Any help would be appreciated I've just started learning how to work on vehicles so any advice and help is appreciated.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Unplug and remove the upstream oxygen sensor. It may be rusted and a bit difficult seeing that you're in Iowa (also from Iowa) but if you do this and you notice that it seems to fix the problem significantly, you may have a plugged catalytic converter. Not at all uncommon on these old things. It's a solid place to start. In addition to that, check the sticky for the plenum fix and look into doing a tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a clean air filter)

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Unplug and remove the upstream oxygen sensor. It may be rusted and a bit difficult seeing that you're in Iowa (also from Iowa) but if you do this and you notice that it seems to fix the problem significantly, you may have a plugged catalytic converter. Not at all uncommon on these old things. It's a solid place to start. In addition to that, check the sticky for the plenum fix and look into doing a tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a clean air filter)
Ditto on the catalytic converter.

Todd Rusch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
Yeah when I have time this weekend definitely going to check the cats that's what others were suggesting

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be transmission overheating and slipping. That's the way mine acted before I had to rebuild the transmission both times. The fluid was at the right level, but the transmission temp light came on, and I started losing gears until all I had left was 1, 2, & 3 before I parked it and called a rollback.

Todd Rusch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
I figured it out, the Cats were blocked bad drilled 4 holes and it runs pretty good now